Honing 2 stroke cylinders

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Jbird988

Honing 2 stroke cylinders

Post by Jbird988 »

Hello, Over the last few years i have acquired a VN 944s and a Serv equip hand honing tank among some other things. I am honing with a AN-112 on a rugged air drill. was wondering if some of you have a preferred method to honing the chromoly bores that 2 strokes have as far as what grits and at what step in the process. Softer stones VS standard stones? Most rings I see are ductile, chrome and some phosphate. I have bored lots of cylinders and I never have more than .005 distortion with my bar, also I get a very nice smooth finish to the bores using a indexed cutter which I dont see any tool marks from. I usually bore to under.003 final size for reference. Thanks
bentvalves
Expert
Expert
Re: Honing 2 stroke cylinders

Post by bentvalves »

2 strokes don't have chromoly bores, they have nikasil plated aluminum cylinders, or an iron liner pressed into an aluminum jug.

if you are working with nikasil, it is very different from an iron sleeve.
Jbird988

Post by Jbird988 »

bentvalves wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:54 pm 2 strokes don't have chromoly bores, they have nikasil plated aluminum cylinders, or an iron liner pressed into an aluminum jug.

Moly 2000 chrome-moly iron along with Moly 2000 iron are the most common iron sleeved material when working with new sleeves for a 2 stroke
MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Post by MotionMachine »

You can't do any material removal on nikasil unless you have a diamond hone. If you are simply re-ringing these cylinders, you need to get some aluminum oxide flex hones from BRM. These are made for nikasil and are different than the usual silicon carbide hones for cast iron.
Jbird988

Post by Jbird988 »

Im only honing stock out of iron bores
Therriaultper

Post by Therriaultper »

I use sunnen key way stones that are for two stroke cylinders . You can get them from Goodson or sunnen work realy good that is all I use !
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

In order to remove metal, the abrasive must be harder than the metal work piece.

Abrasive hardness is measured using the Knoop Scale.
In order of hardness;

Aluminum oxide....2000
Silicon carbide......2100
Boron carbide.......2800
Boron nitride........4000
Diamond.............7000

Nikasil can be honed using boron nitride (sunnen = Borazon) or diamond stones.
While diamond abrasives cut the fastest and last the longest, they do not produce a very good surface finish.

For metal removal from iron or steel, any of the above abrasives may be used. Some will take longer, others cut
faster but are more expensive. In production applications, operating costs are always considered.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Jbird988 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:54 pm
bentvalves wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:54 pm 2 strokes don't have chromoly bores, they have nikasil plated aluminum cylinders, or an iron liner pressed into an aluminum jug.

Moly 2000 chrome-moly iron along with Moly 2000 iron are the most common iron sleeved material when working with new sleeves for a 2 stroke
to most of us "chrome moly" means hardened steel

I like to use AN keyway stones for two strokes.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Definitely j63 for single stage finish.
I'd think a plateau finish should work better, but I did a LOT of them like that and people like it.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

Jbird988 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:20 pm Hello, Over the last few years i have acquired a VN 944s and a Serv equip hand honing tank among some other things. I am honing with a AN-112 on a rugged air drill. was wondering if some of you have a preferred method to honing the chromoly bores that 2 strokes have as far as what grits and at what step in the process. Softer stones VS standard stones? Most rings I see are ductile, chrome and some phosphate. I have bored lots of cylinders and I never have more than .005 distortion with my bar, also I get a very nice smooth finish to the bores using a indexed cutter which I dont see any tool marks from. I usually bore to under.003 final size for reference. Thanks
The guy that used to do all my boring work when I was racing ATV and snowmobile used an old sunnen rod hone for most small bore two strokes. Always did a great job. Seemed odd at the time but it worked!
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

Bill Chase wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:52 am The guy that used to do all my boring work when I was racing ATV and snowmobile used an old sunnen rod hone for most small bore two strokes. Always did a great job. Seemed odd at the time but it worked!
SAME!
Jbird988

Post by Jbird988 »

Bill Chase wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:52 am
Jbird988 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:20 pm Hello, Over the last few years i have acquired a VN 944s and a Serv equip hand honing tank among some other things. I am honing with a AN-112 on a rugged air drill. was wondering if some of you have a preferred method to honing the chromoly bores that 2 strokes have as far as what grits and at what step in the process. Softer stones VS standard stones? Most rings I see are ductile, chrome and some phosphate. I have bored lots of cylinders and I never have more than .005 distortion with my bar, also I get a very nice smooth finish to the bores using a indexed cutter which I dont see any tool marks from. I usually bore to under.003 final size for reference. Thanks
The guy that used to do all my boring work when I was racing ATV and snowmobile used an old sunnen rod hone for most small bore two strokes. Always did a great job. Seemed odd at the time but it worked!
I have a lba666 but hard to do some of the mono blocks on it lol