LS engines on the dyno

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
LS engines on the dyno

Post by rebelrouser »

I keep getting requests to dyno LS engines on the engine dyno. My issue is wiring harnesses to hook up their computer and sensors, etc. to run the engine. How are you guys hooking these engines up on the dyno? Have not did a lot of research yet, is there a reasonably priced harness that would fit most engines? Going to the junkyard and setting up harnesses could get time consuming. Just asking on ideas that you guys may have. I have did a little HP tuning, so if I could build and tune an engine on my dyno with the customers computer, and they could install the engine and then just hook up the computer it would be great. Most of the people who talk to me about it are now going to a chassis dyno and are not happy with the results. For example several guys with rock crawlers that have LS engine have asked me because a chassis dyno does not work well with their tires and suspension set ups, and I have a truck puller asking now about building an engine this winter.
af2
Guru
Guru

Re: LS engines on the dyno

Post by af2 »

I have dealt with this guy since 1996 when I ran a stand alone TPI. He is the best as far as I am concerned. A true good person that answers calls with problems that we all have doing something that is different.

http://larryselectricsite.com/
GURU is only a name.
Adam
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

On engines that require Computers I tell the customer, "I'll put the engine on the pump and run it but all the the electronics are on you". Only had just a few take me up on it, and those experiences weren't what I'd consider rewarding.

The stand alone after market fuel injections haven't been an issue.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

the only thing i had was a drive by wire gas pedal and 5 different dyno headers. everything else was our in house dyno harnesses that were just de pinned oem harnesses for the ls1a/b used a Moates Roadrunner realtime emulator, otherwise customer had to supply everything.

Id say 95 percent of fuel injected engines were just base tuned on the chassis dyno, then street tuned and or track tuned.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

I can’t imagine getting set up to run oe EFI equipped motors on the dyno would be very fiscally rewarding, unless it’s a market you’re targeting....... and feel there will be enough business from it to justify needing that capability.

Then, one also needs the equipment and knowledge to actually make any tuning changes once on the dyno.

A shop in town has an Eddy current hub dyno with a couple of pretty skilled tuners there.
That seems like a better solution to me...... that way you’re using all of the cars systems in their natural environment.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
FuelieNova
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FuelieNova »

Similar to above, how many LS request do you get?
However it seems like the guy that equips his dyno room for the LS engines is setting up for the future depending on your age :D
Tom
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Considering the growing popularity for LS engines it will be the shops equipped to to deal with them that continue into the future.

The shop I deal with has made it's living off of traditional engines, dirt/drag race for decades but in mid to late 2000 he saw the writing on the wall and started buying the needed equipment and now 1/2 or more of his business is LS and he can set his price.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

If I were having a LS engine dyno tuned I would at least want it to run on it's own before I spent any money for dyno time. It's my opinion if you're not tuning it with the computer that will be used in the car then you are wasting time and money. Once the harness is on the engine and plugged into the computer it only takes a couple of wires to power it up.
The only problem I would see on the operators end is coping with drive by wire throttle bodies. Perhaps a bracket that holds the throttle pedal then pull on the pedal with the dyno throttle lever.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

Kenova wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:43 pm If I were having a LS engine dyno tuned I would at least want it to run on it's own before I spent any money for dyno time. It's my opinion if you're not tuning it with the computer that will be used in the car then you are wasting time and money. Once the harness is on the engine and plugged into the computer it only takes a couple of wires to power it up.
The only problem I would see on the operators end is coping with drive by wire throttle bodies. Perhaps a bracket that holds the throttle pedal then pull on the pedal with the dyno throttle lever.

Ken
you dont use the throttle lever. just a drive by wire gas pedal assembly and the TAC
FuelieNova
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FuelieNova »

Next will be the direct injection LS engines, a different bread yet.....
Most in my area that dyno LS engines just have a house Holley ECU, there are tons of base tunes available to start with.
Tom