aluminum ls3 block???

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jred
Expert
Expert

aluminum ls3 block???

Post by jred »

how far can these be bored and still be safe?? this one still has the factory sleeves still in it and I have been told that you can go any were from .005 to .030 need some input please,,
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Re: aluminum ls3 block???

Post by mt-engines »

jred wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:55 pm how far can these be bored and still be safe?? this one still has the factory sleeves still in it and I have been told that you can go any were from .005 to .030 need some input please,,
look at what you have. seems to be some of the liners are not centered to the borespace well, i have had some that were good and went .030" but usually .005 is all you need if looking at a decent core. most of the ones i see had cylinder damage to the point where sleeving isnt a viable option.
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Re: aluminum ls3 block???

Post by BILL-C »

We use a sonic checker to measure factory sleeve thickness before making any decisions. Most of the times the iron sleeves are all over the place for location. That leaves you with thin spots that will dictate how far oversize you can go.Best case, they are all very thin. Melling sells nice flanged sleeves for these blocks that aren't crazy expensive . Darton also sells flanged drylock sleeves that are alot more expensive but better material i believe.
Carlquist Competition Engines