Too late for a half fill?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Too late for a half fill?

Post by Krooser »

Got my SBM bare block back from the machine shop....bored, one sleeve and skimmed the decks.

I ordered a half fill to be done but it wasnt.

How bad will the cylinder distort if I fill it after the final.machining is done?
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Re: Too late for a half fill?

Post by mt-engines »

If you use Rokblock and you have added enough wall clearance you should be fine. Measure before and after. That is the only Block filler i have had good results with in cases like yours.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

Why not take it back to the machine shop? :?:

They can do the fill with an appropriate product and make the cylinders round again, if need be.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

tenxal wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:00 am Why not take it back to the machine shop? :?:

They can do the fill with an appropriate product and make the cylinders round again, if need be.
Right now its a logistics thing...

I'm too busy getting ready for a knee replacement in ten days. The shop is 2 1/2 hours each way. And I won't be doing much driving or heavy lifting for quite a while.

I can do the fill without issue in my own shop and I really hate to have that block at the back of the line again.

I was hoping to be able to limp around the shop a bit by mid December.

I could have one of my local shops hone it after the fill but those guys are busy, too.

What about using Embeco 885? Users here seem to have good reports of no distortion after the machine work is done.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Krooser wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:20 am
tenxal wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:00 am Why not take it back to the machine shop? :?:

What about using Embeco 885? Users here seem to have good reports of no distortion after the machine work is done.
That 885 metallic grout is a really good product which does not alter the cylinder geometry however, Embeco is no longer as they were bought by "MasterFlow" which I believe is a BASF company, I think.
The MasterFlow 885 seems to be the same but, I don't know for sure.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:49 pm
Krooser wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:20 am

That 885 metallic grout is a really good product which does not alter the cylinder geometry however, Embeco is no longer as they were bought by "MasterFlow" which I believe is a BASF company, I think.
The MasterFlow 885 seems to be the same but, I don't know for sure.
I saw that about the new producer.... I will have to see if I can find a source for it. Thanks.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Is a filler that doesn't expand when cured really going to be effective? It might make you feel better knowing it's in there, but is it really doing anything? There needs to be preload or else once loads are applied, things will still move until they meet some resistance. Preload is good. Preload is what stops things from moving. It's why highly stressed fasteners fail unless they're stretched the proper amount during assembly.

A false sense of security makes us do lots of stupid things, like buying big tall SUVs with tiny windows because that makes us "feel safer", all the while the high center of gravity and poor visibility make us much less safe in real-world, non-imaginary scenarios.
DON'T PANIC
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

turbo camino wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:18 pm Is a filler that doesn't expand when cured really going to be effective? It might make you feel better knowing it's in there, but is it really doing anything? There needs to be preload or else once loads are applied, things will still move until they meet some resistance. Preload is good. Preload is what stops things from moving. It's why highly stressed fasteners fail unless they're stretched the proper amount during assembly.

A false sense of security makes us do lots of stupid things, like buying big tall SUVs with tiny windows because that makes us "feel safer", all the while the high center of gravity and poor visibility make us much less safe in real-world, non-imaginary scenarios.
X2!
And by the way....why should your shop put you at the BACK OF THE LINE?!?
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Jeff Lee wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:13 am
turbo camino wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:18 pm Is a filler that doesn't expand when cured really going to be effective? It might make you feel better knowing it's in there, but is it really doing anything? There needs to be preload or else once loads are applied, things will still move until they meet some resistance. Preload is good. Preload is what stops things from moving. It's why highly stressed fasteners fail unless they're stretched the proper amount during assembly.

X2!
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Krooser wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:42 pm

X2!
Sounds like that 885 material is a good product without the disadvantage of distortion...

Regarding “back of the line”... maybe not but getting back in the schedule in a busy shop is tough. I might do the fill myself then check to see if anything moved.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

That distortion is an advantage, it makes things stronger. I thought the reason for using filler was to make things stronger, apparently the goal is to make your wallet lighter in exchange for nothing but peace of mind.
DON'T PANIC
superpursuit
Pro
Pro

Post by superpursuit »

Krooser wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:58 pm
Krooser wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:42 pm

X2!
Sounds like that 885 material is a good product without the disadvantage of distortion...

Regarding “back of the line”... maybe not but getting back in the schedule in a busy shop is tough. I might do the fill myself then check to see if anything moved.

Please post your findings when you have done this.
Thanks.
Allan.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Well my knee surgery has been postponed due to the Kung Flu....

I think I will fill one of my spare SBM blocks that have not been machined then run a hone thru the bores to see if anything has moved.

The 885 is hard to find there is a dealer in CA that will ship one bag...$40.00 plus shipping. I think its a 40# bag.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Krooser wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:19 am Well my knee surgery has been postponed due to the Kung Flu....

I think I will fill one of my spare SBM blocks that have not been machined then run a hone thru the bores to see if anything has moved.

The 885 is hard to find there is a dealer in CA that will ship one bag...$40.00 plus shipping. I think its a 40# bag.
Masterflow 816 works well, also.
That is what I used the last time in a pinch ... it is for anchoring tension cables and doesn't have metallic aggregate.
636 works well, too. It is metallic aggregate based, just not as easy to pour.

A friend of mine in this business uses "Euclid Hi-Flow Metallic grout" and swears by it.
I, personally, haven't tried that one yet.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.