Recommendation for Machine Shop / Engine Builder in CA?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

AmericanPie

Recommendation for Machine Shop / Engine Builder in CA?

Post by AmericanPie »

Can anybody recommend an excellent machine shop and/or engine builder in California?

I plan to pull the 327 out of my '65 Impala SS survivor soon, for a mostly stock rebuild (with a few upgrades). I haven't decided if I'll have all the machining done and then assemble it myself, or have the short block and heads professionally built and then handle the rest of the assembly.

I live about 50 miles north of L.A. but I'm perfectly willing to make a long drive for the "right" shop. By that I mean a place with a reputation for doing impeccable work and great attention to detail...you know the kind.
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Recommendation for Machine Shop / Engine Builder in CA?

Post by GuysMonteSS »

What about Mike Lewis in Laytonville ??
https://www.lewisracingengines.com/contactus.html
Guy
'86 Monte SS,513 BBC,AFR heads,Bullet solid roller cam,Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,Hurst Inline Shifter,Ford 9 inch Rearend.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

I will second the recommendation for Mike Lewis :D :D
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Post by leahymtsps »

I would highly recommend Mike also!!

Tom
cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors »

https://rpmengine.com/

Another excellent option in Rohnert Park. Nate Cutler / needforspeed66 here is a long time member and does excellent work that is second to none.
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
Cylinder Head Fixture for Vertical / Surfacing Mills since 2008
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

http://qmpracing.com/shoptour.php QMP has got to be really close to you I’ve never used them a friend highly recommend them check out there sight.
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Post by novafornow »

Schaver? Hope I spelled that right.
https://www.enginelabs.com/features/sho ... gine-shop/
AmericanPie

Post by AmericanPie »

Thanks for the recs guys. Many years ago I worked my way through college as a machinist and I know how hard it is to find somebody you can trust to do top-notch work. It's not getting any easier these days.

I've heard positive things about Mike Lewis from other sources so that's good. His shop is in NorCal, a 500+ mile drive but I'm OK with that especially since I'd probably only have to do a couple of round-trips. Going to a quality shop is a lot more important to me than convenience of location. I'll keep an open mind and still consider others, but Mike Lewis is sounding pretty good to me.
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

AmericanPie wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:37 pm Thanks for the recs guys. Many years ago I worked my way through college as a machinist and I know how hard it is to find somebody you can trust to do top-notch work. It's not getting any easier these days.

I've heard positive things about Mike Lewis from other sources so that's good. His shop is in NorCal, a 500+ mile drive but I'm OK with that especially since I'd probably only have to do a couple of round-trips. Going to a quality shop is a lot more important to me than convenience of location. I'll keep an open mind and still consider others, but Mike Lewis is sounding pretty good to me.
You can ship to Mike.
I can attest that he is very trustworthy.
He shipped everything but a block to me,all the way from California to Nova Scotia Canada.All the pieces arrived in the same condition as when they left his shop.
It would save you a ton of driving.
Guy
'86 Monte SS,513 BBC,AFR heads,Bullet solid roller cam,Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,Hurst Inline Shifter,Ford 9 inch Rearend.
AmericanPie

Post by AmericanPie »

I'll be needing the block to be completely prepped so I'd probably want to bring that up to him at the very least. That plus the crank, and maybe the stock iron heads...all that weight would add up.

I figure I'd be doing some driving. My daughter lives near Sacramento (on the way up there, sort of) so I could drop by and visit her.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Mike Lewis is a very qualified engine builder. However, if you are in Southern California, check out Jeff Ginter Racing Engines in Artesia. Phone 562.972.9763. Jeff has been in the high performance industry for several years.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

For a machine shop,Engine Supply in Santa Ana.He did Big Joes work before he passed.Tom
DeezNutz

Post by DeezNutz »

L&R Engines in Santa Fe Springs.

They do really good work and fair prices too.
They can do any level you want, just the machine work to the entire rebuild/restoration.
blackford
Pro
Pro

Post by blackford »

You might want to check out Superior Automotive Engineering in Placentia also. They did some work for me several years ago and did a very good job. The original owner's name was Joe Jill and now his son runs the place. They also built a 289 street motor for a friend that was dynoed at nearly 400 HP. They ported the stock heads and did all the machining, assembly and dyno tuning for him. I consulted Joe about 15 years ago on an engine I was building and he was super helpful. His son was working there then and he was very helpful and knowledgeable at that time.
65 Mustang FB, 331 custom built with 289 H beam rods and 383W piston, 282S cam, Ported Maxx 180s, T5z, 9" 3.89 gears. ~460HP@6500

2013 Corvette 427 Convertible daily driver
heartbeatman

Post by heartbeatman »

Another vote for Mike Lewis !!