General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Recomendation for machine shop in Oregon

Post by Justa1time »

Good evening,

I live in Central Oregon and the machinest I have used over the years retired and moved away. I am willing to drive a couple hours if need be to have work done. I mostly work on 4 cylinder aluminum head stuff but have lately been dabbling in v8 iron stuff. Flow testing is a bonus.

I appreciate everyone's time,

Bryan
nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Re: Recomendation for machine shop in Oregon

Post by nhrastocker »

Nutter Racing Engines

http://nutterracingengines.com/
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

nhrastocker wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:20 pm Nutter Racing Engines

http://nutterracingengines.com/
they arent close to central oregon, as they are in Vancouver Washington. they also dont have a flowbench.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Since you haven't have any referrals near you and you say your welling to drive 2 hrs, I'll suggest these.

John has been in business for more than 30 years, in the same place and I've used him all that time. He knows racing and can do most anything, even crank grinding. But, nothing comes out of his shop fast.

Keller Motor Supply
867 Beatty St Medford US, Oregon 97501
John Keller (541)770-9185

Ken is also good and knows racing, too. I'm using him now, to get my last build back, a little sooner (not much, so far). He has a Super Flow dyno and that's the other reason I'm using him.
Ken at Quality Machine
http://qualitymachinecorp.com/
(541) 776-0692

Both, great guys and can do the job.
donforeman

Post by donforeman »

frnkeore wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:06 pm Ken is also good and knows racing, too. I'm using him now, to get my last build back, a little sooner (not much, so far). He has a Super Flow dyno and that's the other reason I'm using him.
Ken at Quality Machine
http://qualitymachinecorp.com/
(541) 776-0692

Both, great guys and can do the job.
I have known Ken at Quality Machine for a long time and he is a good friend. Great person to know. However Ken is retiring at the first of the year and does not accept any more work, unless possibly you beg nicely. Either way in a few months he is closing. Flow benches are not hard to make. I made this one for under $1500 or so in the late 90s. My friend that I swapped ideas back and forth with ended up doing a website called PTS and a few here used those plans. www.flowbenchtech.com Look around there, the flow bench plans are spelled out clearly and Its handy to have your own bench. You would be surprised at all the new friends you will acquire. Ha ha. Bill Jones in UT made my head adapter in the 90s. I still have a few of them left.
Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Justa1time »

MT-engines, frnkeore and Don Foreman I appreciate the replies and recommendations. It seems there are many machinests dissapearing and no one new to replace them and thats unfortunate!

Don, I appreciate the link to the flowbench site. This is something I am quite interested in. I will definitely look further into the flowbench build!

Thank you all,

Bryan from Oregon
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Loyning"s Engine Service Arnie Loyning
9125 SE 64th Ave
Portland, OR 97206
(503) 775-2999

SupserFlo Dyno and flowbench and probably more 4 cyl. racing engine experience than just about anybody, numerous Formula Ford championships, supplied TRD Toyota 4AG engines for CART Formula Atlantic and SCCA club racing in all classes, all engines, including Yamaha R1 and Kawasaki Hayabusa. He will do V8 engines if you ask him nice. The Mopar V8 engine that held the Silver State Classic Challenge open class record for 12 years was prepared and dynoed in Arnie's shop.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

IIRC, Vancouver WA just across the river from Portland.
Don't know Loyning but sure have seen his work at Road Atlanta over many runoffs there.
555RAT

Post by 555RAT »

What part of Central Oregon? I live in Redmond and have used the Napa machine shop in Bend on 27th. They are good but don't be in any hurry. Loren often likes to do more than you need to but is very thorough and they have some very good equipment and know how to use it. I've actually been using Southworth a lot lately as they'll come to CO and pick up and are a bit faster on turnaround.
Keith
Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Justa1time »

Thank you all again for the replies.

555Rat I am also located in Redmond. I appreciate the insight on the NAPA in Bend. I was a Rocket Engineering customer before he left. I may give Lorin a call. Tell me more about Southworth? Do they have flow testing capabilites?

Thank you,

Bryan from Oregon
JES

Post by JES »

Hi Keith. What work have you had Southworth do for you ? In the past I have had some done by them and was not completely satisfied.
You know me, I was used to the personal direct one on one with Rocket Engineering. The time frame could be questionable :D :wink:
It's difficult to get good machine work done in a reasonable time frame in Central Oregon, for sure. It's sad, but seems to be hard to find a machinist that takes the time to really listen and show personal intrest. Most are old and soon to be done. Makes me sad. Bryan, as far as I know Southworth does not have a Flow bench. They are a production shop. My best experience there has been talking to Randy.

John
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

Portland Engine Rebuilders On I5 at Aurora. portlandenginerebuilders.com/ In years back they were known as Larson and King, I believe they ran a Superstock Mustang. They are essentially a rebuild shop, but It never ceases to amaze me at the exotica they are working on. Ted King and Ron Larson are the most knowledgeable engine guys I know. I believe both are members on this forum, but not very active anymore.
So much to do, so little time...
Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Justa1time »

JES I am glad to see another Central Oregon guy on here!

RFOLL Thank you for reaching out about Portland Engine Rebuilders. I will check them out.

Thank you all for the replies.

Bryan