Lowering octane

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RCJ
Expert
Expert

Lowering octane

Post by RCJ »

Dyno a motor on 91 then 87. Made more power on 87(8.5 cr).How can you lower the octane even more? Kerosene?
travis
Guru
Guru
Re: Lowering octane

Post by travis »

You can get 85 octane in Denver/Colorado Springs area...I would assume it would be available at other high elevation city’s
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

RCJ wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:33 pm Dyno a motor on 91 then 87. Made more power on 87(8.5 cr).How can you lower the octane even more? Kerosene?
oil. that seams to do a great job at lowering octane
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

This a carb?
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

I’d be more interested in finding out the other differences in the ingredients. The octane just went along for the ride
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

digger wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:18 am I’d be more interested in finding out the other differences in the ingredients. The octane just went along for the ride
Exactly. Was the 87 E10 and 91 was E-free?

Octane by itself doesn't make power. What was the timing curve with both fuels?
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

I would want to check the alcohol content of both fuels and do a specific gravity test. Then if the dyno had O2 sensors on it, look at the air fuel ratio. I have seen higher octane fuel make less power on several occasions, usually this is due to burn time differences, which could be made up for in ignition timing. If the fuels have difference specific gravities, maybe a slight jet change will be needed.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

We’ve tried multiple timing curves,jets ,and pump gases. Non E 87 has always shown best. An over the counter fuel oxgenator Will add some power but hits the point of demising returns with only a few ounces . Trying think out side the box . What is the brand of the stations in Denver that have 85 and is it non ethanol?
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

RCJ wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:40 pm We’ve tried multiple timing curves,jets ,and pump gases. Non E 87 has always shown best. An over the counter fuel oxgenator Will add some power but hits the point of demising returns with only a few ounces . Trying think out side the box . What is the brand of the stations in Denver that have 85 and is it non ethanol?
It's been the opposite for me. Testing it with 2 different engines, I found E10 93 made slightly (~1%) more power than E-free 93. The high heat absorption and low boiling point of ethanol means a cooler, denser intake charge entering the cylinders (with a carbureted engine at least).
Ks Fats
Pro
Pro

Post by Ks Fats »

"We’ve tried multiple timing curves,jets ,and pump gases. Non E 87 has always shown best." If all of this has been done then you have reached your sweet spot at non e 87; further reducing octane number will probably not render any improvement. Read David Redszus reply to the " 90 Octane Ethanol Free" post in the similar posts at the bottom of the page. There is more to consider than octane number; mix in the seasonal changes in blends (happens in non e also) and pump octane numbers don't really tell you much.
canuc

Post by canuc »

I have only tuned with a butt dyno but have found that more octane than needed was not only a waste of money in a dd but could also be down on power . Had a yamaha dirt bike back in the seventies , thought I'd treat it to some premium , ran ok but actually felt it lost throttle response and overall zip . Next tank back to reg , and all was good . Have found the same with low compression vehicles . Need some science guys to help me here (or correct me) but believe the lower octane can have more btu ? heptane ...
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

RCJ wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:40 pm What is the brand of the stations in Denver that have 85 and is it non ethanol?
I don’t remember offhand...haven’t been there in a few years...but I remember it was everywhere. We probably have a few members in that neck of the woods...Vortecpro for one I think
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

Octane has no effect on the fuel's burn rate and flame propagation. Going down to an 85 AKI probably won't show a difference either if both fuels have a MON of 82.
strokersix
Pro
Pro

Post by strokersix »

Add some diesel fuel... Can't speak from personal experience but I would try this first to lower octane rating of gasoline.

Whether this is the right approach for what you want to do is a different question as above posts are saying.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

digger wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:18 am I’d be more interested in finding out the other differences in the ingredients. The octane just went along for the ride
Exactly correct. Fuel octane does not have an affect on power. It does allow a more aggressive tuning while
avoiding engine destruction.

There is never a reason to lower fuel octane values.

The are several reasons to alter fuel composition and distillation curves.