Induction and Ignition systems

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bergmeister

Induction and Ignition systems

Post by Bergmeister »

Hello everyone, I'm in process of building a 306 SBF for a track day/HPDE car (non Ford car) There are no class rules to be concerned with. I will drive the car to and from events and a little on the streets for fun. Aiming for around 400 crank hp, low 7k rpms. I have an Explorer Intake and ignition system complete, however I'm not sure I will be able to achieve my goals with the OEM stuff. I"ve been looking at Carburetors and the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 systems, I did look into the various efi systems from Holley and don't see any advantage over the Pro-flo 4.

My previous two builds I was able to use the OEM systems and it's been ages since I've messed with carbs (carter 625). Looking for some guidance.
Thanks in advance.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru
Re: Induction and Ignition systems

Post by rustbucket79 »

Search out Richard Holdner on YouTube, he likely has the build you’re looking for.
Bergmeister

Post by Bergmeister »

I've watched many of Richard's video's even read a few articles he's written... not looking for his XR274 cam recommendation. He never gets into any detail about induction or ignition systems, only casual mention. He's about talking dyno numbers not getting the details of the build so much.
n5ifi
Pro
Pro

Post by n5ifi »

Bergmeister wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:17 pm I've watched many of Richard's video's even read a few articles he's written... not looking for his XR274 cam recommendation. He never gets into any detail about induction or ignition systems, only casual mention. He's about talking dyno numbers not getting the details of the build so much.
Peak dyno numbers at that.

"He never gets into any detail about induction or ignition systems, only casual mention."

I wonder why?

This is the guy I would talk to.
He's a drag racer but he uses almost all stock parts and if my HP Calculator is right he's making over 400 hp with pretty much stock parts and NO ONE Abuses a small block Ford like this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/50tussin/videos