Briggs Animal hone and piston to wall.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Chipster

Briggs Animal hone and piston to wall.

Post by Chipster »

I have got the block mounted square in my AXE pump hone but the cylinder is only 3 1/2' long.

> Are you using normal 4' AN stones, short 3 1/2“ AN stones, or cut both the top and bottom off the stone?

> Std = Bore: 2.6875/2.6885 in, are you finishing to low, middle, high or your favorite piston to wall with the oem/stock Briggs piston?

> I usually do 150 grit less .0005, 280 grit to size plus plateau brush, should I be smother?

Thanks
BillK
Guru
Guru

Re: Briggs Animal hone and piston to wall.

Post by BillK »

Some of those can be a real pain to keep straight. I have a few stones that I have cut down to as short as 2" As far as the finish goes some of those small engines dont want a real smooth finish so I guess just go by what the manufacturer says. I usually go 150 to .003, 220 to .0005 and then 280 plus a couple of strokes with the brush.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Chipster

Post by Chipster »

Thanks Bill, thats what I'm finding also. 1 stroke is 1 too many, where did that .001 go. I'm also finding over stroke is VERY important.
Thanks
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

When doing short bores you will have to shorten the stones to allow the stones to contact the whole bore without causing a larger spot in the middle top or bottom.
Getting the over stroke right and using a shorter stone length makes it much easier then using a longer stock stone length to do the job of a shorter stone.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors