I want to try Hard tire street legal races

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

econo racer
Expert
Expert
I want to try Hard tire street legal races

Post by econo racer »

I will be running a 302 cid SBC with 12/1 pistons. Will be run on e-85 fuel I am using this 3 inch stroke to leave the 60ft slow then poor the juice. Gonna use turbo 350 trans 2800 stall and 456 gears. Hoping for 7.20in the 1/ Also have access to a B&M 144 mini blower with a 50 shot on top. gonna be in a S10 at approx 3300 lbs. Also might try some Legal street races.
lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: I want to try Hard tire street legal races

Post by lefty o »

12:1, with a mini blower, and a shot of juice on top? granted e-85 helps, but thats a lot to ask without problems.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Subscribing!

Thinking out loud here:

Sounds like a driver’s race, something that would demand a broad power curve that’s smooth and predictable. N2O is not predictable on a traction restricted class, think spiking the throttle on bare ice.

I would be thinking big cubes, big duration, mild gears, mild stall. If it’s a weight style class I would be thinking light weight up front so you can ballast the trunk.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

A low cost 305 with low compression will work as good or better especially with that blower and nitrous. Leaving the line slow is a very bad way to go fast,nor to get there first.
You only win if you get there first.

If behind a 300 cid ish motor expect about 400 to 500 rpm LESS actual flash stall that the rated stall of a typical off the shelf converter... I'd go with at least a 10" "3500 stall "
converterr on this, with a small .motor.

Much better to control launch bite..
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The lil Edelbrock/Eaton E-Force 122HH supercharger is MUCH BETTER in every way for this.

The Weiand 177 blower is much better for this, in every way.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

econo racer wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:35 am I will be running a 302 cid SBC with 12/1 pistons. Will be run on e-85 fuel I am using this 3 inch stroke to leave the 60ft slow.....
Take a look at what the guys in the F.A.S.T. series are doing in the way of ignition control.
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

There's a guy with a Ford Ranger who does WELL in these... He has a lot more engine than what you are proposing. Most of these guys add quite a bit of ballast to the rear of the vehicle, and launch pretty hard. Some are rumored to use tire softener to help out a bit as well. In classes like this, it's ALL about setup and practice, practice, practice to dial in your combo to be fast and consistent. Some guys trying hard tire come from the 'small tire' world with 1000+ horsepower and a few hundred pounds of ballast.

This being said, do NOT allow that to discourage you! Lots of local stuff and local guys out there who will be very likely to be staring at your tail lights once you get your combo sorted out! It looks like a really fun class. Lots of challenges, and not a whole lot of cars with completely sorted out combinations. Lots of room for wins! :)
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Might want to consider a Rear Mounted Turbo system.
Weight is all added at the back of the car/truck.
Lots of room in the truck box for a big effective Water to Air Intercooler system right where you need the added weight.
At the BACK...
Can be set up to produce a "soft hit" of the turbo boost/ power gain.
The rear mounted Turbo/twin turbos replace the mufflers in the exhaust system.
Relative easy to fit on a S10.
BIG POWER...
canuc

Post by canuc »

econo racer wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:35 am I will be running a 302 cid SBC with 12/1 pistons. Will be run on e-85 fuel I am using this 3 inch stroke to leave the 60ft slow then poor the juice. Gonna use turbo 350 trans 2800 stall and 456 gears. Hoping for 7.20in the 1/ Also have access to a B&M 144 mini blower with a 50 shot on top. gonna be in a S10 at approx 3300 lbs. Also might try some Legal street races.
Was there a question ? I'd like to here more about the rules . How competitive , prize money , heads up etc. ? Might be a 5.3 with a Chinese turbo is going to blow you away lol and I like the 283's
ClassicComp
Expert
Expert

Post by ClassicComp »

How fast do you have to go to be competitive?
results speak for themselves
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

The way to win street races on a small tire car is with a SBC on nitrous. You need to get hooked up then ramp in the spray. A SBC in the front of your car helps with weight transfer. An aluminum motor such as an LS would be even better. I basically gave up on street racing a few years ago with my big block malibu. By the time my car stopped spinning the race was over and my buddies SBC, nitrous car was 10 lengths ahead of me. BTW my car runs 9.20's at the track and his runs 10.30's on a good day. However he destroys me on the street.
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

Canuc I am sorry but you are right, I did not make a question. Must not had enough coffee yet plus old age :) I would like to know what type hard radials people are using. Max size 10/2 inches wide. Plus trying to find a good combo. I was gonna try a 406 sbc on spray about 200 feet out. But the 3.75 stroke will probably be too much off the line. I could use a large duration cam to bleed off torque. I don't have any progressive timers. I think most fast cars are running 6.30 . Years ago I might could run 7.50.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Back in the day, when you could have fun without Homeland Security and two SWAT teams showing up to black-bag everyone within a 2 mile radius, my street cars mostly used bigger than optimal cam duration and tighter than optimal converters.
DON'T PANIC
Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

I don't know about the rules there but here they have to be 70's or above and really hard (harder than OEM Sports Car Tires).

This is how someone I know does it.

Fox Body
Stock 351W Shortblock
GT40P Heads (off Explorer) with drop-in valve spring and special retainer kit.
Mid-230's Hydraulic Roller
Edelbrock Victor Jr EFI intake
Chinese Turbo Headers
BW 171702 Turbo T6 75/96 1.32 AR
C4 Trans
PTC 9.5" Converter (Very Tight)
2.73 Gears.
E85 Fuel.

He uses a Holly HP to manage fuel and timing.
Cuts 1.6's on 255/70R15 Futura Tires from Pep Boys.

Can't say what it's actually capable of but it runs 6.6's or so shutting off at 400-500'.

The car was an already built 5 second street car and he just threw together a drivetrain out of spare parts but it appears to work very well for the application.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

On passenger car street radials the lower the Temp rating and the lower the Mileage rating the softer the tread compound type.. Softer bites better yet wears faster.

The Temp and mileage rating is on the sidewall of the tire.
Some of the cheapest radials have the best bite. (straight line bite)
These tires get better once about ½ or more of the tread depth is burned off.. Tire pressure is CRITICAL.