General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Steve.k
Guru
Guru
Gliddens heads!

Post by Steve.k »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=emb ... Wqg2YGCXWg
Check this out. Did anyone here know about this?
panic
Guru
Guru

Re: Gliddens heads!

Post by panic »

Larry Widmer ("T.O.O.") did some heads for Glidden, not sure if those are his.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Sounds like Bob was ahead of his time in terms of combustion chamber shape. Or possibly this larry you mentioned.
BigBro74
Expert
Expert

Post by BigBro74 »

I think that the picture the guy in the video is focusing in on is cool, as I don’t think many people have Seen the examples like that. Like that!-interesting sports/engine history
I do feeL like it was kind of known What he was doing- my old man (A fan, Who worked for a pharmaceutical company) told me that Glidden was using heart shaped combustion chambers for an advantage back in the early-mid 80’s while watching pro stock racing On the wide wide world of sports on Sunday afternoon.....
Just my recollection from way back—-J
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

heart shaped combustion chamber used by Harley-Davidson on flathead engines since 1926.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Bob must’ve heard or realized early this design was worth power. Didn’t catch on in automotive design for years after. The later a3 nascar head looked similar to what he was doing.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Steve.k wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:25 am https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=emb ... Wqg2YGCXWg
Took the guy 8 minutes into a 12 minute video to show one picture for about 10 seconds... thought my head -- the one attached to my neck -- was gonna implode waiting for him to get to the dayum point. Krikey... :?
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

BradH wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:34 am
Steve.k wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:25 am https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=emb ... Wqg2YGCXWg
Took the guy 8 minutes into a 12 minute video to show one picture for about 10 seconds... thought my head -- the one attached to my neck -- was gonna implode waiting for him to get to the dayum point. Krikey... :?
My thoughts exactly.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

, i wouldn't know a v8 from any other , but for the sake or engine development i have read it all [ mightn't have understood it all but read it anyway :D ]

fair enough i see the point of referencing the video , but this guy is suppose to be into and building them yet he name drops and references the big guys to reassure the public he knows what he is at , and even a family man .
i have a bad feeling he is a pain in the ass too, getting every detail bit of knollage and they trying to apply it as his own , and now trying to make money on the back of what the guys said to him ,he should reference his own work / development and if he has none , turn the camera off .
for this to be new stuff to a v8 guy says it all , also look like he ad to syke himself up at the begining , very funny
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

That chamber shape was ordinary in the era of lbs/cu in Pro Stock.
In fact it was essential to getting high compression ratios in small displacement engines.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:00 am That chamber shape was ordinary in the era of lbs/cu in Pro Stock.
In fact it was essential to getting high compression ratios in small displacement engines.
i had Glidden's small block ProStock Chrysler engine in my Shop many years ago :)
Cylinder Heads on my Flowbench ... i thought i posted Head Flow CFM on SpeedTalk long time ago ??
2.150/1.600 Valves , a bunch of brazing + epoxy cast-iron Cyl Heads
1978-1979 ?? Glidden ran Chrysler

i still have Glidden's Holley Tunnel Ram Manifold
+ magazine articles w/pics to verify
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

maxracesoftware wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:12 am
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:00 am That chamber shape was ordinary in the era of lbs/cu in Pro Stock.
i had Glidden's small block ProStock Chrysler engine in my Shop many years ago :)
Cylinder Heads on my Flowbench ... i thought i posted Head Flow CFM on SpeedTalk long time ago ??
2.150/1.600 Valves , a bunch of brazing + epoxy cast-iron Cyl Heads
1978-1979 ?? Glidden ran Chrysler

Ok, I gotta ask...if you don’t mind can you post those flow numbers and the magazine article? I’d love to see them, as I’m sure others would.

TIA
CA
FuelieNova
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FuelieNova »

maxracesoftware wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:12 am
That would be a nice piece of history to own!
Tom
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Tim is just rounding up prostock parts and going to build eventually. Hes good buddies with Darin Morgan and they going to work together on it. He does a good job explaining it i think when alot of builders who know this ahead of time wont expain it one way or other. Glidden had power secrets back then and no one has seemed to reveal them. Weather this is it or not is not really known. If anyone does know feel free to chime in.