BBC Heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

vht
BBC Heads

Post by vht »

Looking for a budget head, alum, has anyone tried the AFR Enforcer heads? I wouldn't think you could go wrong with AFR. Looks like they are around $1400 a pair fully assembled. Anything else out there that will work on a 489 street and strip build? I always ran Brodix on my race engines but don't have $2500 to spend on heads and by the time you buy all good valve train for the china castings you would have the cost of the AFR's in them.
rapidride2
HotPass
HotPass

Re: BBC Heads

Post by rapidride2 »

Man its not exactly budget but check out Richard Holdener's video on YouTube. He dynos several different cylinder heads on a 496. The 290 oval ports made more power then a lot of the others.

Once again...not exactly budget though.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

are the enforcer heads actually cast in the USA by AFR ? They do look like a pretty good deal.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

I doubt these are cast by AFR.. likely off shore under contract. Apparently AFR installs the guides etc etc.
I'd have no problem running these or the SBC enforcer heads. For street strip moderate race stuff.
If you think the big 325cc intake port is bigger than you need fill the floor with epoxy or a aluminum port floor tongue.

Be sure to check combustion chamber to piston dome clearance on your build. minor clearance grinding may be required.
If you need other or better valve springs I would call AFR direct and custom order with upgrades.
vht

Post by vht »

I read an ad on them some where and it said they were set up for a 700 lift hyd roller and the castings are the same as other AFR heads but with out the CNC work. I figured Brodix and AFR just wanted to compete with china but I'm not certain on that. I wish Brodix would come out with a BBC budget head, I checked and didn't see any.