1998 vortec

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

scoob314
1998 vortec

Post by scoob314 »

Have enough seasoned parts to build a 377 sbc. 1972 400 block. 1998 K series work truck 5.7lL ,needs a new engine. Want to mate old block with 1998 induction, etc. I see the vortec block has en extra p.s.mounting boss on left side.Has anyone done this? Thanks.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Re: 1998 vortec

Post by rebelyell »

that 400 has no provision for OE roller lifters like that 98 vortec motor does. Lotsa folk don't wanna hassle w/ flat tappet break-in etc.
Good retro-fit roller lifters are pricey.

Is that vortec block & internals rebuildable ? What's the autopsy ?
Good replacement OE-type roller lifters are inexpensive.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

scoob314 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:52 am Have enough seasoned parts to build a 377 sbc. 1972 400 block. 1998 K series work truck 5.7lL ,needs a new engine. Want to mate old block with 1998 induction, etc. I see the vortec block has en extra p.s.mounting boss on left side.Has anyone done this? Thanks.
You can get it the valve train done more cost effectively if you consider a tight lash solid roller and not a hyd. roller.
Isk offers 8620 steel billet cores with a cast end section for using a regular cast dist. gear making the dist. options endless.
the solid lifter issue can be resolved with a custom tight lash ( 14 int/ Ex16 ) 6to keep it quieter under the hood.
Regardless what cam you choose ANY drop in hyd. lifter these days will not deal with a better then average open spring pressure. There just is not the quality of machining there used to be..
Currently the only two brands of lifters that are proving to be 0 issues is the original Johnson. Which is all we use.
BAM we have not tried yet but many have recommend them highly for hyd. roller set ups.
Solid lifters like isy red zone will give you at least 1000 years of use with no issues in a street truck.

Better core options and more grind options with a solid roller compared to a hyd. roller.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

ProPower engines wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:00 pm
scoob314 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:52 am Have enough seasoned parts to build a 377 sbc. 1972 400 block. 1998 K series work truck 5.7lL ,needs a new engine. Want to mate old block with 1998 induction, etc. I see the vortec block has en extra p.s.mounting boss on left side.Has anyone done this? Thanks.
You can get it the valve train done more cost effectively if you consider a tight lash solid roller and not a hyd. roller.
Isk offers 8620 steel billet cores with a cast end section for using a regular cast dist. gear making the dist. options endless.
the solid lifter issue can be resolved with a custom tight lash ( 14 int/ Ex16 ) 6to keep it quieter under the hood.
Regardless what cam you choose ANY drop in hyd. lifter these days will not deal with a better then average open spring pressure. There just is not the quality of machining there used to be..
Currently the only two brands of lifters that are proving to be 0 issues is the original Johnson. Which is all we use.
BAM we have not tried yet but many have recommend them highly for hyd. roller set ups.
Solid lifters like isy red zone will give you at least 1000 years of use with no issues in a street truck.

Better core options and more grind options with a solid roller compared to a hyd. roller.
Mike Jones ground one for me like 12 years ago for a v/drive and it was better than the original cam idle and 7000.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Unless the block is pooched I would suggest a stroker kit for that vortec which quite possibly uses a crank sensor in the front cover. More cubes, everything bolts up, already a roller, etc.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

I believe he would make more power with the 4.125 bore versus the 4.00 bore with same displacement options.
scoob314

Post by scoob314 »

ProPower engines wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:12 pm I believe he would make more power with the 4.125 bore versus the 4.00 bore with same displacement options.
This is my thinking and has proven true in previous builds. This application would benefit from low rpm torque. Any suggestions on valve timing events, LSA,
lift, duration, when to close the intake valve? Thanks
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

scoob314 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:06 pm
ProPower engines wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:12 pm I believe he would make more power with the 4.125 bore versus the 4.00 bore with same displacement options.
This is my thinking and has proven true in previous builds. This application would benefit from low rpm torque. Any suggestions on valve timing events, LSA,
lift, duration, when to close the intake valve? Thanks
For a work truck only style of build which is used for general back and forth to the shop driving so yo speak or in other words just daily driving computer truck that see's some towing/hauling there is several choices which come to mind since it is not seeing high RPM over say 4500.
I would keep it to a max of 9-1 comp and go with an Isky RR-265/272 WITH A 114 LOBE CENTER. I would change the lobe center to 112 from the off the shelf 114 because of the larger bore size.
We used their 262 SUPERCAM FT cam in LPG fueled tow trucks in our fleet back in the 80's and 90's with great success and even in some regular 87 gas fueled trucks as well with no issues.
Just as a note I used the 108 in the LPG trucks and the 110 in the gas fueled trucks.
A distributor recurve needs to be done if its carbed. For EFI a wider lobe separation may be needed for smoother running and ease of tuning.
Call Ron Or Richard at Isky after 3pm PST and have a chat. They will do a custom is 3 days if you want to go with something not in the book 310-217-9232