Summit’s pro sbc camshafts ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Monza355
Expert
Expert
Summit’s pro sbc camshafts ?

Post by Monza355 »

I was surfing the net and came across this camshaft series from summit racing i have not seen before for the sbc gen 1 engine.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/pro ... =part-type

I know they offer various types of these hydraulic roller cams for the LS series but that’s another story..

Is this something to look at for a mild street engine type of deal ?
Like mild 350/383 cheap pump gas, everyday driver, car/pickup truck etc..
Based on the specs these cams look promising ! Fast acting valve opening with lots of lift compared to many cams of similar specs from other companies.

Is anyone familiar with these cams and has tried them out ?
Does anybody know who makes them for summit. They claim it’s American made..
travis
Guru
Guru
Re: Summit’s pro sbc camshafts ?

Post by travis »

Interesting. I just noticed a couple days ago that they also have a SBF line called something like the 303+ series, with similar durations. I wonder who actually grinds them?
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

They're made by either Engine Power Components, or Camshaft Machine Co.
Both companies offer mass-produced catalog grinds, that are reboxed and resold by multiple companies. If you know how to decipher the specs, you can find any of those same grinds, from multiple companies.
If you wanted to buy 100 of them, they would sell them to you, and send them to you in your own boxes.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Mike, is that why when you send someone to say Lunati or Howard's with a specific custom grind, the guy on the phone nearly always pushes them off to a shelf grind? Basically because they didn't grind it in the first place and their profit margin is higher?
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

RevTheory wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:38 am Mike, is that why when you send someone to say Lunati or Howard's with a specific custom grind, the guy on the phone nearly always pushes them off to a shelf grind? Basically because they didn't grind it in the first place and their profit margin is higher?
Every company is different, but most of the large cam companies have EPC or CMC mass-produce many of their catalog cams.
Last time I checked, in quantity, you could get a fully finished flat tappet cam for less then $10 over the price of the cast core. I don't know what it is now, but it's much cheaper then grinding them in house.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
Monza355
Expert
Expert

Post by Monza355 »

CamKing wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:13 am They're made by either Engine Power Components, or Camshaft Machine Co.
Both companies offer mass-produced catalog grinds, that are reboxed and resold by multiple companies. If you know how to decipher the specs, you can find any of those same grinds, from multiple companies.
If you wanted to buy 100 of them, they would sell them to you, and send them to you in your own boxes.

But these cams listed at summit’s website don’t look like the average cookie cutter cams you often see these warehouses sell as their white box camshafts. Maybe i’m wrong but the 2nd mild cam does have plenty of lift for it’s given duration 212/218 @.0.50” 261/267 @ 0.006” and .525”/.520” Lift.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Monza355 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:12 pm
But these cams listed at summit’s website don’t look like the average cookie cutter cams you often see these warehouses sell as their white box camshafts. Maybe i’m wrong but the 2nd mild cam does have plenty of lift for it’s given duration 212/218 @.0.50” 261/267 @ 0.006” and .525”/.520” Lift.
They compare to the Edelbrock cams, and those are all mass-produced catalog cams.
Ignore the "Advertised Duration", because they can use any height they want for that, and they will purposely use a different checking height, to make it hard to compare to other catalog cams.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Not so bad if your choice is in their $220 - $250 list
USA, billet steel (not cast/austempered /sadi iron)
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

As Mike mentioned they nothing special. Remember they are in the business of selling parts and more specifically discount auto parts. Private label stuff they have promo sales on are just lost leader sales to get ya in the door to buy the rest of what ever else you may need.
Mass produced anything lacks accuracy and consistent machining quality but they are cost driven for sales.
Howards offers a 5 year warranty on some basic low HP grunt grinds but the catch is the 5 year warranty and on FT cams
as well no roller cams.
But now ya got to wonder how many guys see that and thats the sole reason they buy cause they see the warranty. [-X
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

rebelyell wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:08 pm Not so bad if your choice is in their $220 - $250 list
There's plenty of cheap "Billet Steel" cam cores made in the USA.
1050 or 1055 steel cores are better then the ductile iron cores, but not in the same league as the 8620, 8660, or 5150 steel cores.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

CamKing wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:17 am
rebelyell wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:08 pm Not so bad if your choice is in their $220 - $250 list
1050 or 1055 steel cores are better then the ductile iron cores, but not in the same league as the 8620, 8660, or 5150 steel cores.
Mike, out of curiosity, do you know what the O.E.M. steel cores with induction hardened lobes are made from.

I had a Ford O.E.M. hydraulic roller core cut down on a lathe and checked every .025". That hardening went just beyond .200" deep so, is that normal ...?
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:48 am
CamKing wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:17 am
Mike, out of curiosity, do you know what the O.E.M. steel cores with induction hardened lobes are made from.

I had a Ford O.E.M. hydraulic roller core cut down on a lathe and checked every .025". That hardening went just beyond .200" deep so, is that normal ...?
I don't know what Ford uses. I think the GM cores are 1055.
Yes, it's common for the induction hardening to be .200"+
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449