Comparing Apples To Oranges! (Cams)

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

guicars

Comparing Apples To Oranges! (Cams)

Post by guicars »

This is for a Chrysler 340 small block, but can apply to any make. So just comparing the specs and the likely characteristics of each based on them regardless of build details, they would be the same for either. I have access to two cams, a hyd and a sft. The hydraulic is an Isky 280 Mega with 280 adv duration, 232@ .050”, .485” in/ex lift 68 degrees overlap on a 106 LSA. The solid is a Mopar Performance 284 adv, 240@ .050”, .526” in/ex (.498”/..494” after lash) 74 overlap on a 106 LSA. Both would likely be installed at 102. Without knowing the durations at .100”, .200” etc what would you theorize the general differences to be regarding low end , mid range, and top end? I’m thinking not much difference?
lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: Comparing Apples To Oranges! (Cams)

Post by lefty o »

i'd just skip it, and find a cam with lobes designed this century. cost difference between an antique grind, and a quality modern grind is insignifigant vs the benefits IMO.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

I think you would see very little difference between them
guicars

Post by guicars »

lefty o wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:55 am i'd just skip it, and find a cam with lobes designed this century. cost difference between an antique grind, and a quality modern grind is insignifigant vs the benefits IMO.
Yeah, I should just skip the whole car then and buy a car from this century then.......
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

guicars wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:21 am
lefty o wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:55 am i'd just skip it, and find a cam with lobes designed this century. cost difference between an antique grind, and a quality modern grind is insignifigant vs the benefits IMO.
Yeah, I should just skip the whole car then and buy a car from this century then.......
Don't take offense. He has a valid point.
guicars

Post by guicars »

RevTheory wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:45 pm
guicars wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:21 am
Don't take offense. He has a valid point.
? Valid point as in an answer to a question(s) I didn’t ask. If someone had each cam in their hand standing in front of the class at university and gave specs of each then asked for anyone to opine on how they would compare to each other, all else the same, and someone stood up and went on about lobes from this century and antiques.........ah geez never mind. LOL
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Yep. Probably not much difference.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Wow! Such a remarkably gracious intro! Perhaps you aced a Dale Carnegie course?
Ya know, you've joined-in on a site where there are lotsa rather knowledgeable, experienced guys; including a well-respected & successful cam designer-manufacturer.
Good luck in your endeavors. Out.
guicars

Post by guicars »

rebelyell wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:24 pm Wow! Such a remarkably gracious intro! Perhaps you aced a Dale Carnegie course?
Ya know, you've joined-in on a site where there are lotsa rather knowledgeable, experienced guys; including a well-respected & successful cam designer-manufacturer.
Well, the initial post was pretty straight forward and to the point, just looking for opinions on differences not recommendations unrelated. Didn’t realize that asking a specific question meant having to veer off course and humor the answers/recommendations given to questions I never asked. Interesting. I could have been really gracious and stated that I wasnt looking for any recommendations or advice from the get go but thought better of it. :lol:
pcnsd
HotPass
HotPass

Post by pcnsd »

guicars wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:09 am This is for a Chrysler 340 small block, but can apply to any make. So just comparing the specs and the likely characteristics of each based on them regardless of build details, they would be the same for either. I have access to two cams, a hyd and a sft. The hydraulic is an Isky 280 Mega with 280 adv duration, 232@ .050”, .485” in/ex lift 68 degrees overlap on a 106 LSA. The solid is a Mopar Performance 284 adv, 240@ .050”, .526” in/ex (.498”/..494” after lash) 74 overlap on a 106 LSA. Both would likely be installed at 102. Without knowing the durations at .100”, .200” etc what would you theorize the general differences to be regarding low end , mid range, and top end? I’m thinking not much difference?
Which would you chose...and why?
- Paul
guicars

Post by guicars »

pcnsd wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:52 pm
guicars wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:09 am This is for a Chrysler 340 small block, but can apply to any make. So just comparing the specs and the likely characteristics of each based on them regardless of build details, they would be the same for either. I have access to two cams, a hyd and a sft. The hydraulic is an Isky 280 Mega with 280 adv duration, 232@ .050”, .485” in/ex lift 68 degrees overlap on a 106 LSA. The solid is a Mopar Performance 284 adv, 240@ .050”, .526” in/ex (.498”/..494” after lash) 74 overlap on a 106 LSA. Both would likely be installed at 102. Without knowing the durations at .100”, .200” etc what would you theorize the general differences to be regarding low end , mid range, and top end? I’m thinking not much difference?
Not sure, short of trying both to see, Probably the solid...flip of a coin? Hmm, I’m thinking on the surface (without actually measuring or even plotting to determine other durations) the solid might offer a slight low/mid range advantage due to slightly shorter durations after lash (adv and @.050”) and that it has assuming slightly faster rate lobes, and a minuscule increase in lift, overlap it might pull a little stronger... but then the hydraulic has slightly more seat to seat and @.050”. Would be a toss up. If either was in the engine already I’d probably just leave it, seems to be a few who agree not much difference otherwise.
oscaracme
HotPass
HotPass

Post by oscaracme »

guicars wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:16 pm
rebelyell wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:24 pm Wow! Such a remarkably gracious intro! Perhaps you aced a Dale Carnegie course?
Well, the initial post was pretty straight forward and to the point, just looking for opinions on differences not recommendations unrelated. Didn’t realize that asking a specific question meant having to veer off course and humor the answers/recommendations given to questions I never asked. Interesting. I could have been really gracious and stated that I wasnt looking for any recommendations or advice from the get go but thought better of it. :lol:
next thing your going to hear is "just put an LS in it".....with a powerglide.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

oscaracme wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:21 pm
guicars wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:16 pm
next thing your going to hear is "just put an LS in it".....with a powerglide.
no no, around here its a supercharger, and a 6bbl qjet! LS's are for common folk.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

I'm the king of not getting questions answered and have simply stopped asking so I get it. Having said that, only maybe a couple of guys are going to know the real story between those two cams. We don't know the symmetry or duration at .200 or how well either one rolls over the nose or what.

One thing I like about solid-lifter cams is, depending on the lash ramps, you can fiddle with the lash to dial things in a little bit where with a hydraulic, you're stuck.
pcnsd
HotPass
HotPass

Post by pcnsd »

guicars wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:12 pm
pcnsd wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:52 pm
Not sure, short of trying both to see, Probably the solid...flip of a coin? Hmm, I’m thinking on the surface (without actually measuring or even plotting to determine other durations) the solid might offer a slight low/mid range advantage due to slightly shorter durations after lash (adv and @.050”) and that it has assuming slightly faster rate lobes, and a minuscule increase in lift, overlap it might pull a little stronger... but then the hydraulic has slightly more seat to seat and @.050”. Would be a toss up. If either was in the engine already I’d probably just leave it, seems to be a few who agree not much difference otherwise.
I agree with your choice. Not because I'm qualified to do so, but because in one of the software packages I use (EnginePro), changing only the camshaft type parameter from hydraulic to solid lifter results in a 18 HP increase for the solid in the "Base case 355 cu in engine" and raises Peak HP 150 rpm.
- Paul