BBC heads question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PRH
Guru
Guru

Re: BBC heads question

Post by PRH »

I think the hit will be softer....... so the 60’ consistency might actually improve........ even if the number itself doesn’t.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
qtrmiler

Post by qtrmiler »

Any updates on the head swap. Curious ones want to know. Thanks
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

Where I'm at : Canada is a stupid place to live right now. The fear tactics surrounding the scamdemic have brought on hysteria. Pastors have gone to jail and some provincial governments have encouraged people to snitch on each other regarding obeying the health restrictions. People are crazy about the masks and the vax. I personally can't bare it all and have basically avoided going anywhere. I have been chased out of a couple stores because I won't wear a mask. Now vax passports are coming so that your ability to travel or who - knows - what may be limited. They are now giving the vax to children without the parents consent in schools. There is much more i could say but I will hold off. All this is to say that i haven't gone to the track and am not sure when i will. It doesn't seem like much of a priority anymore. I was really looking forward to seeing what the new heads would do on my car. I have done a few things:
AFR 385 heads
new center chunk with 4.10 pro gears and a spool. (had a detroit locker and street gears last year)
new billet specialties wheels. ( a little lighter than my old centerlines)
new oil pump with built on windage tray
mild smoothing on pistons to hopefully prevent detonantion that may have happened a little last year.

If i get a chance to get to the track this year i will. I know we are not supposed to talk about politics or religion in this section but i can't help but ask you all as my speed talk friends to consider where you are with God.
take care
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:44 pm Where I'm at : Canada is a stupid place to live right now. The fear tactics surrounding the scamdemic have brought on hysteria. Pastors have gone to jail and some provincial governments have encouraged people to snitch on each other regarding obeying the health restrictions. People are crazy about the masks and the vax. I personally can't bare it all and have basically avoided going anywhere. I have been chased out of a couple stores because I won't wear a mask. Now vax passports are coming so that your ability to travel or who - knows - what may be limited. They are now giving the vax to children without the parents consent in schools. There is much more i could say but I will hold off. All this is to say that i haven't gone to the track and am not sure when i will. It doesn't seem like much of a priority anymore. I was really looking forward to seeing what the new heads would do on my car. I have done a few things:
AFR 385 heads
new center chunk with 4.10 pro gears and a spool. (had a detroit locker and street gears last year)
new billet specialties wheels. ( a little lighter than my old centerlines)
new oil pump with built on windage tray
mild smoothing on pistons to hopefully prevent detonantion that may have happened a little last year.

If i get a chance to get to the track this year i will. I know we are not supposed to talk about politics or religion in this section but i can't help but ask you all as my speed talk friends to consider where you are with God.
take care
Brian
I’m not sure about the mask defiance, I hate how it fogs my glasses but the businesses have to follow rules so I begrudgingly wear the mask when I have to, it’s not the end of the world. I presume your area has some serious COVID cases. As far as this being a scamdemic or not, I’ll leave that to the history books. I hope you and your family is well and had limited impact from the past year.

FWIW I raced this weekend in my home town in BC. :P :mrgreen:
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

I have an update for this thread. Today was the hottest day i've ever raced and the car went 9.26 at 145 mph. My best with the old heads was 9.24 at 144 mph on a better air day. I'm confident that the big AFR 385 heads are making a little more power. It was mentioned that they might soften my 60' and it possible that happened but hard to know for sure. My best 60' today was 1.36 and my best with the old heads was 1.33. It didn't feel like it was hooking as good today so hard to say what the real reason for the worse 60' is.
Brian
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

IMG_0856.JPG
was a fun day but very hot. I made it to the quarter finals which is pretty good for me.

Thanks to all my speedtalk friends for your advice !

Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

=D> =D>
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:49 am IMG_0856.JPG

was a fun day but very hot. I made it to the quarter finals which is pretty good for me.

Brian
congrats, I am kind of like you I just win enough rounds to think I still know what I am doing, but have not won a race for years. You may have picked up more than you think. Last race of the year with my car, really good conditions, 1/8 mile 6.03 @ 113 First race this year at the same track, hot and humid with no changes to the car 6.30, leaned it a little and it went a 6.17, so you may be a couple tenths quicker.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

rebelrouser wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:10 pm

Brian
congrats, I am kind of like you I just win enough rounds to think I still know what I am doing, but have not won a race for years. You may have picked up more than you think. Last race of the year with my car, really good conditions, 1/8 mile 6.03 @ 113 First race this year at the same track, hot and humid with no changes to the car 6.30, leaned it a little and it went a 6.17, so you may be a couple tenths quicker.
what kind of car and combo do you have ? Must be running mid 9's ?
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Went 9.18 at 144.8 Mph. Was hoping for better but its still me best time. Got the 60 foot down to a 1.30 on one pass.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Brian
I like that homemade scoop for the carburetors. :D
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

New tunnel ram on the car. The weiand "race " version. Its probably 40 years old but its has a 8 - 10% larger port opening at the plenum. I'll see what it does today.

Brian
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

do you have a photo of the race version tunnel ram? is it a three piece design?
Pro question poster.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

went 9.173 at 146.96 which is my fastest ever, but then the car started to slow down to a 9.30 at 144. I'm trying to find if i damaged something.
Brian
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Bob Hollinshead wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:49 am do you have a photo of the race version tunnel ram? is it a three piece design?
It is a 2 piece old design with the ribs on the base and the studs / nuts holding the top and bottoms together outside of the plenum.