Hall Sensors

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chimpvalet
Pro
Pro
Hall Sensors

Post by chimpvalet »

Laying out installation of trigger wheel for updating an engine to EFI, I see Hall sensors listed in single and dual channel types. Can anyone explain why choose one over the other? Also would appreciate tips on good sources for trigger wheel and sensors.
Thanks
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
Re: Hall Sensors

Post by rebelrouser »

I am not sure, except that many OEM's for example GM uses a Hall effect sensor with several different signal resolutions. Dual Hall Effect sensors can sense speed and rotation at the same time. The sensor output is a frequency signal on channel A and a 90° phase shifted frequency signal on channel B allowing the Quadrature signal to determine rotation. They started using them when the ECM had to determine engine misfire. Misfire is recorded, when the ECM observes the crankshaft slowing down from a weak cylinder.
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

Crane used to sell Hall Effect on their crank trigger ignitions. So does ICE in Australia.
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

Crank Trigger Kits wth Hall Effect Sensor

Use the selection boxes to sort between Holley and MSD. Not every kit uses a Hall Effect so you'll need to look at the specs.
I use a Holley Hall Effect on an MSD wheel on my brother's dragster. Now they just sell kits with them.