Used Oil Analysis, 5 year old oil in a KA24E

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert
Used Oil Analysis, 5 year old oil in a KA24E

Post by RDY4WAR »

Earlier this year, I decided to pull my grandfather's old Nissan pickup out of the barn and start restoring it. It had been sitting in that barn since he passed away in March of 2016. Out of curiosity, I decided to sample the old oil that had been sitting in it all of those years. I have no idea what oil it is but it looks like a pretty generic API SN oil (probably Walmart Super Tech) and had <1,000 miles on the oil before it sat. The high amount of iron and lead is from corrosion (rust) due to condensation settling in the crankcase. I just wanted to post this to show what happens to the engine (and oil) when it just sits without being run, and also show that it's important to change the oil with time, not just mileage. This isn't the worst report I've ever seen, but it's up there. I have a blend of 50% conventional and 50% ester oil in there now, with an older CI-4 add pack, to clean it up.

The engine is a Nissan KA24E 4 cylinder with 482k miles. It surprisingly still has the original timing parts although they may need replacing now.
11-12-2020 Unknown Oil Initial Barn Sample.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Re: Used Oil Analysis, 5 year old oil in a KA24E

Post by frnkeore »

If your going to pull it down. Look inside the timing cover and see if the chain has rubbed it. I've had 2, KA24E's, in 240 SX's. One of them, wore clear threw, into the water passages. The other, showed signs of rubbing.

Your alum spec, isn't out so, maybe, your alright. I drove mine hard and seldom shifted below 5k after I put the header on it. A header will wake those engines up.
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert
Re: Used Oil Analysis, 5 year old oil in a KA24E

Post by RDY4WAR »

I have considered a header for it. I just don't know how useful it would be as this engine will rarely see over 3000 rpm.