air fuel ratio gauge in circle track cockpit

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dynoflo

air fuel ratio gauge in circle track cockpit

Post by dynoflo »

I have a ngk afr gauge i use in dyno room and would like to install in car. I used it when motor was dynoed at 300 rpm per second. I would like to see what it reads in actual use. I will put it where it is in drivers vision and easily read for everybody that tells its dangerous. I will put oxygen sensor bung in both collectors. Any thoughts.
Chipster

Re: air fuel ratio gauge in circle track cockpit

Post by Chipster »

Let the driver drive!

Use a Gopro camera or simalar aimed at the gage and review after the race/heat.

I tried to do about the same with a vacuume gage in a 2bbl car, asked him what's the vacuume just before corner entry/end of straight and off the end he went.
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

good idea chipster. might have to buy a go pro.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

I tried it. I put the sensor to close to the end of the pipe and it didn’t read correctly.
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

RCJ i have long collectors and extension pipes was thinking at end of 14 inch collector.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

I'd put it a few inches past the primaries. You want it as far away from open air as you can get.
Jim
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

I have cars with afr gage in hooked to a datalogger. But all you need is wire gage to red led and have it only light up when lean.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

I use this gauge https://innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php It was set up as a dual wideband O2, and has an SD card to record, so you don't have to watch it and wreck the car. I don't remember how long it will record before full, but I am sure you could get a couple laps at least.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

In our road race cars, We always found the hottest running exhaust cylinder on the dyno and had an exhaust temp probe to a gauge which could be monitored by the driver.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

During the pioneering days of Lambda sensors, we used a Bosch narrow band sensor (designed for furnaces), in
a road racing BMW, with the output fed into a volt meter taped to the steering wheel. We then asked the driver
to note the readings while on track. Strangely, the readings were never repetitive.

The reason was due to the fact that the readings changed so fast that the driver could not visually capture them.

A bit later we used an experimental wide band Lambda, made by NTK, fed into a logger. This changed everything.
Now we could see rapid variations at full throttle, wide readings at partial throttle and just how unstable the
mixture really was. Even with the use of superb, high pressure fuel injection.

Today we do not even start an engine without a data logger system that will sample Lambda at 1 kHz.
When possible, we use one sensor per cylinder and try to get them to match.

EGTs are completely useless as becomes quickly apparent. As is plug color, pipe color, smell, and subjective feel.

We strongly urge every racer to invest in a high quality data logger that provides actual useful information.
It will speed up engine development and save a great deal of money in the long run...like two weeks.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

David Redszus wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:21 pm
EGTs are completely useless as becomes quickly apparent. As is plug color, pipe color, smell, and subjective feel
NOT if the driver is simply monitoring the point of where damage might occur.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

Go pro will your best bet. We use them to watch shocks etc. the newer hp tuners can Bluetooth to the go pro and you can put the telemetry on screen while watching the laps. On my sons car we us it to monitor tps and rpm to help him learn throttle control. On the midgets we’ll watch shocks and Jacobs ladder movement to help determine which type of shock valving to go with at times.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

C&S sales on with a push button to record the reading.
http://www.candsspecialties.com/store/html/misc.html
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

rebelrouser wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:35 pm I use this gauge https://innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php It was set up as a dual wideband O2, and has an SD card to record, so you don't have to watch it and wreck the car. I don't remember how long it will record before full, but I am sure you could get a couple laps at least.
The Innovate LM2 will record for hours and hours on an SD card. It has an RPM input which accepts Tach signals from CD and induction ignition systems or can be used with an inductive clamp (attach to a wire like a timing light), plus it has 4 channels of 0-5V analog input you can use with MAP and TPS sensors (you will need to supply 5V using a 5V regulator, available for less than a buck). Also it can be daisy-chained with EGT or Innovate fuel and oil pressure gauges and all other Innovate gauge/sensor devices.
ssregal39

Post by ssregal39 »

rebelrouser wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:35 pm I use this gauge https://innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php It was set up as a dual wideband O2, and has an SD card to record, so you don't have to watch it and wreck the car. I don't remember how long it will record before full, but I am sure you could get a couple laps at least.
Concur! I used the same setup, sd card, replayed on a laptop.