Radical/Ground Breaking Builds ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ptuomov
Guru
Guru
Re: Radical/Ground Breaking Builds ?

Post by ptuomov »

I don’t know how radical this is but I’m trying to get my hot rodded street car to idle consistently in New England November temperatures. It’s certainly ground breaking to me.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

af2 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:41 pm
RDY4WAR wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:36 pm
af2 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:34 pm

Haha a good cam will blow you away and be tame.
Of course. That's not the point.
So what is? The only problem I see is the cam.

I know what you said Butttt :D
To see how far I can push bolt-on parts without opening up the engine. The current "bolt-on" record for this engine is 11.41 @ 116 mph. I'm looking to see if I can beat that. I need more weight reduction.

Plus, I geek out on the small things that squeeze out a few hundredths here and there. I'm more impressed with someone who finds a tenth or two of ET reduction by reducing brake drag, correcting bump steer, and freeing up bearing friction than someone who runs a full second quicker by just opening their checkbook.
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:11 pm

I think the issue is that the craft has split into two groups:

1. Budget constrained projects built from garage left-overs.
2. Late model performance cars that are so well optimized that an individual or the performance aftermarket can't afford the R&D to improve on the OEM parts unless they change the operating requirements. For this segment there isn't enough left on the table to chase after, let alone the emission's modification laws and warrantee.

I don't think there is a home for anything new in the market.
The nitro teams that I spent some effort to help could not afford to risk their tune to try even something they thought would work.

A lot of smart people working on new battery ideas but not particularly for performance cars.
A battery break-through will be a game-changer for lot's of projects.

I have moved on to electric powered vehicles for my regular job, but still design some castings for people in the aftermarket.
There is a lot of 1) on ST these days, nothing wrong with that, responses get people from A to B, but those type of posts are far different from the type of posts on ST in the 2005 to 2010 era.

TFX continues to see various small companies come along with interesting engine ideas and application ideas, obviously I can't relay what those companies are working on, most are quite small, self funded and probably hope to patent what they have or just use it for their own purposes. It is very cool though that there are still people out there using their heads to come up with new things, instead of just thinking that anything worth doing has already been done or can be found by Googling. I think people are progressively falling into the trap of Googling everything and not thinking for themselves.......I'm sure there is a fictional book or two from the past predicting this sort of thing lol.

No personal interest at all in electric. If they build an electric car that runs 0-60 in 2 seconds flat, makes me coffee and does my laundry, the interest will still be nil lol.
High Speed Combustion Pressure Tuning Equipment
TFX Engine Technology Inc.
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
www.tfxengine.com
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

nitro2 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:30 am

2. Late model performance cars that are so well optimized that an individual or the performance aftermarket can't afford the R&D to improve on the OEM parts unless they change the operating requirements. For this segment there isn't enough left on the table to chase after, let alone the emission's modification laws and warrantee.

The nitro teams that I spent some effort to help could not afford to risk their tune to try even something they thought would work.

A lot of smart people working on new battery ideas but not particularly for performance cars.

I have moved on to electric powered vehicles for my regular job, but still design some castings for people in the aftermarket.
There is a lot of 1) on ST these days, nothing wrong with that, responses get people from A to B, but those type of posts are far different from the type of posts on ST in the 2005 to 2010 era.

TFX continues to see various small companies come along with interesting engine ideas and application ideas, obviously I can't relay what those companies are working on, most are quite small, self funded and probably hope to patent what they have or just use it for their own purposes. It is very cool though that there are still people out there using their heads to come up with new things, instead of just thinking that anything worth doing has already been done or can be found by Googling. I think people are progressively falling into the trap of Googling everything and not thinking for themselves.......I'm sure there is a fictional book or two from the past predicting this sort of thing lol.

No personal interest at all in electric. If they build an electric car that runs 0-60 in 2 seconds flat, makes me coffee and does my laundry, the interest will still be nil lol.
I was resistant to the electrics for a long time.

Now that I work for a company that is building original electric motors, my understanding has changed about how much more opportunity there is for innovation and optimization. Even the sounds they make are starting to appeal to me.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
Monzsta

Post by Monzsta »

David Redszus wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:32 pm This might not qualify as radical or groundbreaking, but perhaps it might be interesting to some.

We have begun the engineering design process for a Porsche road race car; engine, suspension, custom ABS brakes,
aero, tires, gearing, and data logging.

The purpose is to optimize each performance area before construction, and then validate each aspect
with actual recorded data.

As such the data system is a bit overwhelming. Currently we plan over 150 data channels for the engine alone.
The aero, suspension, brake and tire sensors are another large mass of sensors.

And then, there is the data necessary to train the driver what to do to win every race.

While I cannot share specific information that the customer has paid a large fortune to obtain, I might be
able to discuss the type of information being collected and analyzed.

For example, the tires will have 16 infra-red temperature sensors reading across each tire, real time pressure
transmitters, and tire spring rate sensors. Vehicle aero data will use 24 pressure sensors, strategically
placed about the car. There are vibration sensors for suspension, drive line and engine.

We are having some difficulty asking the driver to accept a "pucker factor" sensor; perhaps that is because it
currently is only available in suppository form.
Pssh. You could just put an accelerometer on the center bottom of the seat cushion. Couple it with a microphone and the involuntary fart will tell you when he's truly scared himself.

:lol:
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

ptuomov wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:14 pm I don’t know how radical this is but I’m trying to get my hot rodded street car to idle consistently in New England November temperatures. It’s certainly ground breaking to me.
It'll be funner in Jan. & Feb. :D
Jim
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

77cruiser wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:43 pm
ptuomov wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:14 pm I don’t know how radical this is but I’m trying to get my hot rodded street car to idle consistently in New England November temperatures. It’s certainly ground breaking to me.
It'll be funner in Jan. & Feb. :D
Baby steps, baby, baby steps.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Tim Meyer will be building these aluminum block cleveland I think they are going for a big small block cleveland.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

1972ho wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:43 pm Tim Meyer will be building these aluminum block cleveland I think they are going for a big small block cleveland.
These are lifter bore bushing and cam bearing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:30 pm

Now that I work for a company that is building original electric motors, my understanding has changed about how much more opportunity there is for innovation and optimization. Even the sounds they make are starting to appeal to me.
No doubt there is opportunity for innovation and optimization, so strictly as an engineer that could be interesting. Those who are primarily interested in cars, rather than engines might be interested in electric too. However for those whose lives are all about engines, either as a business, a passionate hobby, or just an avid spectator, electric is the "enemy". Electric Harleys........a great example of trying to shove something unwanted down someone's throat. If electric vehicles were to simply coexist with engine powered vehicles that would be fine, but I think we all know that isn't going to happen, engine powered vehicles will legislatively first be punished (taxed/overpriced), then banned. Anyway enough about electric it should not even exist as a topic let alone a section on ST ......IMO.
High Speed Combustion Pressure Tuning Equipment
TFX Engine Technology Inc.
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
www.tfxengine.com
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

nitro2 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:51 am

No doubt there is opportunity for innovation and optimization, so strictly as an engineer that could be interesting. Those who are primarily interested in cars, rather than engines might be interested in electric too. However for those whose lives are all about engines, either as a business, a passionate hobby, or just an avid spectator, electric is the "enemy". Electric Harleys........a great example of trying to shove something unwanted down someone's throat. If electric vehicles were to simply coexist with engine powered vehicles that would be fine, but I think we all know that isn't going to happen, engine powered vehicles will legislatively first be punished (taxed/overpriced), then banned. Anyway enough about electric it should not even exist as a topic let alone a section on ST ......IMO.
Electric cars are a very old idea, first invented in 1832. Neither are hybrids, first invented by Dr. Porsche in 1901.
They were the rage at the turn of the century (1900), but died off for a very good reason. The gasoline engine.
They should be ignored as being impractical except for golf carts and fork lifts. Or other indoor vehicles.

They represent a politically forced technology that would fail if not financially subsidized by the taxpayer.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

David Redszus wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:14 am
nitro2 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:51 am

Electric cars are a very old idea, first invented in 1832. Neither are hybrids, first invented by Dr. Porsche in 1901.
They were the rage at the turn of the century (1900), but died off for a very good reason. The gasoline engine.
They should be ignored as being impractical except for golf carts and fork lifts. Or other indoor vehicles.

They represent a politically forced technology that would fail if not financially subsidized by the taxpayer.
Compare a late model ICE performance car, Challenger, Mustang, Camaro, with intercooled supercharger.
They are very difficult to control wide open; rarely possible to keep in one lane.
A Tesla runs with any of them, in fact will beat them most of the time because they are easy to control.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

I mean, considering how the oil industry is subsidized here and overseas by their respective governments, I don’t think the argument has merit considering we’re likely not paying the real unsubsidized price for a gallon of oil or gasoline. Also, let’s be frank, cars exist entirely because of the road / highway system that exists exclusively funded by taxpayers. If we were all driving on private toll roads, the automotive industry wouldn’t be anything like what it was/is and this hobby would look nothing like it does.

For interesting builds, most of the people I know who had the resources (money) and interest have simply aged out of the sport. These guys were in their 60s, twenty years ago when I was a teenager. Learned a ton from them, but they’re going the way of the dodo bird.

I think that reflects motorsports as a whole.

Even guys like Mike Jones and Billy Godbold, who aren’t really that old, are still middle aged, and who is coming behind them? They would be considered young guys still in the sport, and I know both are 50+ now.

You see that with posters here, where some of our most prolific posters and knowledgeable ones are not spring chickens or have since passed (Harold, Edvanced, etc). I bet the average age here looks a lot like it does at the track, old and growing older.

There is some young talent in the pro ranks, but real serious pro guys have one foot in the hybrid world, especially knowing they have to make a career out of this and have 35+ years before retirement. I love IC engines as a hobby, but I would be seriously thinking hard how I can be involved in EV / hybrid technology if I had to do this as a career. It’s easy for plenty on here to be dismissive considering a lot of you are retirement age or are 10 maybe 15 years tops from it, and it likely won’t matter for you.
-Bob
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

hoffman900 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:55 pm I mean, considering how the oil industry is subsidized here and overseas by their respective governments, I don’t think the argument has merit considering we’re likely not paying the real unsubsidized price for a gallon of oil or gasoline. Also, let’s be frank, cars exist entirely because of the road / highway system that exists exclusively funded by taxpayers. If we were all driving on private toll roads, the automotive industry wouldn’t be anything like what it was/is and this hobby would look nothing like it does.

For interesting builds, most of the people I know who had the resources (money) and interest have simply aged out of the sport. These guys were in their 60s, twenty years ago when I was a teenager. Learned a ton from them, but they’re going the way of the dodo bird.

Even guys like Mike Jones and Billy Godbold, who aren’t really that old, are still middle aged, and who is coming behind them? They would be considered young guys still in the sport, and I know both are 50+ now.

You see that with posters here, where some of our most prolific posters and knowledgeable ones are not spring chickens or have since passed (Harold, Edvanced, etc). I bet the average age here looks a lot like it does at the track, old and growing older.

There is some young talent in the pro ranks, but real serious pro guys have one foot in the hybrid world, especially knowing they have to make a career out of this and have 35+ years before retirement. I love IC engines as a hobby, but I would be seriously thinking hard how I can be involved in EV / hybrid technology if I had to do this as a career. It’s easy for plenty on here to be dismissive considering a lot of you are retirement age or are 10 maybe 15 years tops from it.
This has a lot of merit to it. I'm just 32 which is a young for this field. Most of the people my age and younger don't care to build anything, they just want to buy something. They don't want to research for solutions, they just want a solution given to them.

The older generation grew up without internet and cell phones. They didn't have Amazon to order something online and have it on your doorstep the next day. Today's kids are spoiled by these things and take them for granted. The desire to build upon what we have is lost as you can always just buy something better.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

RDY4WAR wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:12 pm
hoffman900 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:55 pm I mean, considering how the oil industry is subsidized here and overseas by their respective governments, I don’t think the argument has merit considering we’re likely not paying the real unsubsidized price for a gallon of oil or gasoline. Also, let’s be frank, cars exist entirely because of the road / highway system that exists exclusively funded by taxpayers. If we were all driving on private toll roads, the automotive industry wouldn’t be anything like what it was/is and this hobby would look nothing like it does.

There is some young talent in the pro ranks, but real serious pro guys have one foot in the hybrid world, especially knowing they have to make a career out of this and have 35+ years before retirement. I love IC engines as a hobby, but I would be seriously thinking hard how I can be involved in EV / hybrid technology if I had to do this as a career. It’s easy for plenty on here to be dismissive considering a lot of you are retirement age or are 10 maybe 15 years tops from it.
This has a lot of merit to it. I'm just 32 which is a young for this field. Most of the people my age and younger don't care to build anything, they just want to buy something. They don't want to research for solutions, they just want a solution given to them.

The older generation grew up without internet and cell phones. They didn't have Amazon to order something online and have it on your doorstep the next day. Today's kids are spoiled by these things and take them for granted. The desire to build upon what we have is lost as you can always just buy something better.
We’re similar age, but I don’t agree with that. Young people are building plenty of things. Look at where mountain bikes are now. That industry is mostly people <35 yo and younger. I know engineers who work for small rapid prototyping 3d print firms. All are millennials and now Gen Z’ers. However, none of their clients are involved in this hobby. There is no demand for it, and if there is, people don’t want to pay.

What they aren’t doing is building 350ci Chevys or they don’t have $20-30k + laying around to go racing, and have the space for 1) a garage 2) a trailer 3) a tow rig. A $8k mountain bike is considered pretty trick, and it costs as much as a generic street/strip 350ci Chevy, and you don’t need everything else that goes along with it (like the rest of the car).

I do wish I had some trick builds to report on, but I just think that time has passed in my world.
-Bob