Crankshaft polish

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
Re: Crankshaft polish

Post by rebelrouser »

BBOLINGER wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:15 am Ok, glad to hear I'm not crazy.

I have an old block with some decent bearings-- thought about dropping it in the saddles and having my son run the drill slow on the crank to rotate while I polish it myself. Am I asking for trouble? I've polished some daily driver stuff before, but not near the HP level I'll be at with this.
Use a pair of V blocks, make your own out of wood, and polish with sandpaper and leather shoe strings. Did lots of them in my younger days. check out this YouTube video.

https://youtu.be/RLb6bYuje4s
BillK
Guru
Guru

Re: Crankshaft polish

Post by BillK »

B,
Its impossible to say without having the crank here to measure but I would almost bet that if you "polish" that crank enough to get those marks out it will probably be at least a couple of thousandths (.002) small and almost certainly out of round. I would either say leave it alone and run it like it is or take it to another shop and have it ground undersize and make it right.

I personally would not run it the way it is.

Have you checked it yet with a micrometer ? I have a feeling you are not going to like what you will find.

I bet the polishing belts I use would not make a mark that deep even if you ran them on edge for a few minutes.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com