Cam grinding to customer spec - Data requirements

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Nut124
Pro
Pro

Cam grinding to customer spec - Data requirements

Post by Nut124 »

If I had a blank and wanted to have a cam ground to my own spec, what would be the requirements for the profile data I provide? Would just a lobe lift vs crank/cam degree plot do?

This is a solid lifter DOCH inverted bucket cam.

Do grinders have SW that fits customer provided profile data in to "smooth" curves eliminating minor point-to-point error in profile data points?

What if I just specified total lift, lobe CL, duration at 0.014, 0.050, 0.100 and 0.250 and desired lash (0.014)?
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Re: Cam grinding to customer spec - Data requirements

Post by frnkeore »

My suggestion, would be to give the cam grinder, your bucket diameter and desired lift and duration that you want. You'll also need to tell him, how aggressive you want the profile to be and the application. It will also help to know your piston to valve clearance, unless you plan to get newly made pistons, to go with the cam lift.

He will then, be able to decide on how aggressive it can be, based on the bucket diameter as well as the acceptable jerk.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Nut124 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:24 pm If I had a blank and wanted to have a cam ground to my own spec, what would be the requirements for the profile data I provide? Would just a lobe lift vs crank/cam degree plot do?

This is a solid lifter DOCH inverted bucket cam.

Do grinders have SW that fits customer provided profile data in to "smooth" curves eliminating minor point-to-point error in profile data points?

What if I just specified total lift, lobe CL, duration at 0.014, 0.050, 0.100 and 0.250 and desired lash (0.014)?
We can work with anything.
You can send an xy plot of the lobe. We can make it "as is" or smooth it.
You can give us durations at different lifts, and we can design a lobe to match.
You can give us the lift, duration, and max velocity, and we can design around that.
Or, if you want what's best, you can give us the specs on the engine, and the rpm range you want to run, and let the top cam designer in the country design the cam for you.
When we make a new profile, we design the valve lift curve, then add the appropriate opening and closing lash/hydr ramps. Then, we work through the valvetrain geometry to give us the lobe shape to generate that valve lift curve.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

CamKing wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:42 amOr, if you want what's best, you can give us the specs on the engine, and the rpm range you want to run, and let the top cam designer in the country design the cam for you.
Back when, I occasionally visited the Iskenderian shop to have lunch with Ed, John, Big Nick and the other old guys. While hanging around, one always overheard the walk-in, e-mail and phone customers. Some knew exactly what they wanted and just said, "Send me a # XXX kit." Others rambled on for way too long, giving every detail of every car and engine they'd ever bench-race-dreamed of a cam which would do six contradictory things at the same time. Too few said, "Here's the weight, gear, tranny/stall, long-block, heads and here's how it will be driven and for this many miles a year. What cam and kit do you recommend?" Even with the clear specification, getting it verbally sometimes led to less than desired result.

Mike will have to weigh in if this is his preference, but I'd recommend your sitting down with your best engine-car-guy friend and tell him exactly how you intend to operate the engine/vehicle and what is your budget for the entire project. Have him write it down and read it back to you. When you've clearly defined the engine, car, use and timeline, send it to Mike as an e-mail; written out, it is what it is. Then, Mike and his crew can get back with their timeline and costs to design and grind the ideal cam for you and recommend the springs and retainers to go with it.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Mike will have to weigh in if this is his preference, but I'd recommend your sitting down with your best engine-car-guy friend and tell him exactly how you intend to operate the engine/vehicle and what is your budget for the entire project. Have him write it down and read it back to you. When you've clearly defined the engine, car, use and timeline, send it to Mike as an e-mail; written out, it is what it is. Then, Mike and his crew can get back with their timeline and costs to design and grind the ideal cam for you and recommend the springs and retainers to go with it.
[/quote]

Why confuse things with your engine-car-guy friend?
Just fill out what is on this link and let Mike take it from there.

http://jonescams.com/cam-recommendation/