block heater

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dragsinger
Expert
Expert
block heater

Post by Dragsinger »

I have looked at the elements that bolt in place of a core plug, but I'm not too fond of the fit. What other options are available?

I "think" I want a heater that will install inline the lower hose. NOTE, I have a #12 AN lower hose.
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Re: block heater

Post by nhrastocker »

Dragsinger wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:19 pm I have looked at the elements that bolt in place of a core plug, but I'm not too fond of the fit. What other options are available?

I "think" I want a heater that will install inline the lower hose. NOTE, I have a #12 AN lower hose.
For drag racing, you should be heating the oil and not the water.
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

nhrastocker wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:21 pm
Dragsinger wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:19 pm I have looked at the elements that bolt in place of a core plug, but I'm not too fond of the fit. What other options are available?

For drag racing, you should be heating the oil and not the water.
X2, Moroso makes a pad for the pan if you dont want direct element/oil heating
Tom
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Kat's has magnetic heaters some are larger. Seen it suggested to remove the handle and make a bracket if you want to permanent attach it.

Here's one, use their promo code if you order from them
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/kat ... /6400086-P

edit: Not a block heater but oil pan
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I have a heater in the lower hose due to a filled block. It is not nearly as effective as the ones in the plug holes. It gets the water hot in the hose, but it doesn't keep the block very warm. In my car I heat the oil and the water, methanol bracket car. It helps a lot at larger races in cold weather. Keeps the oil clean and you spend way less in fuel warming the car up, not to mention less wear and tear running the motor to put heat in it.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Define the use; race or street?

FWIW, I've used both the inline which routes through the heater core and block core plug heaters for sixty years. The best ones are made here in Spokane by https://www.hotstart.com/about/who-we-are/
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Dragsinger
Expert
Expert

Post by Dragsinger »

Drag race engine running Methanol
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

The "fit"? The block heater itself is a loose slip-fit, sealed with a rubber O-ring. They'd wiggle around in the core hole without the O-ring. The only concern is to get the locking-wings appropriately in place and tightened properly. I have seen block heaters pop out when the wings are carelessly tightened.

The block heater does an excellent job of heating the engine for winter starting while using LESS electricity than hose heaters or tank heaters. I won't assemble an engine without one, but then I do live in the Seasonally Frozen Wastelands.

Put one in each bank of a V8 or V6 for optimum heating--Diesels, for example. One is plenty for a gas engine even if it's not in a garage in the winter. Maybe you'd want two for heating a race engine. Or heat the oil instead, as suggested by others.
Dragsinger
Expert
Expert

Post by Dragsinger »

More information, this is a Dart block equipped SBC drag race engine on Methanol fuel. It also has a small radiator and leanout valve for warm-up. My goal is a way to warn the engine without wasted fuel, especially during the cooler season. I am in East Texas so our cooler season is short. During hotter days, it is not an issue.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Dragsinger wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:02 am More information, this is a Dart block equipped SBC drag race engine on Methanol fuel. It also has a small radiator and leanout valve for warm-up. My goal is a way to warn the engine without wasted fuel, especially during the cooler season. I am in East Texas so our cooler season is short. During hotter days, it is not an issue.
Is this carbureted or injected? For my injected stuff I got the engine fired up and as soon as it is running on the system and not the prime, I start closing off the fuel shut-off until the engine comes up to a smooth fast idle as that tells me it is running at the best afr and then let it warm. The warm up happens much faster and the oil stays clean and we use much less fuel. YMMV

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

Dragsinger wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:02 am More information, this is a Dart block equipped SBC drag race engine on Methanol fuel. It also has a small radiator and leanout valve for warm-up. My goal is a way to warn the engine without wasted fuel, especially during the cooler season. I am in East Texas so our cooler season is short. During hotter days, it is not an issue.
My brother uses 2 core plug heaters in his methanol 598 BBM. They are plugged in until the coolant temp rise slows down and then he starts the engine. EFI with methanol pretty much eliminates the warm-up dance I read about with methanol MFI and primers and lean outs...
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Rick! wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:07 am
My brother uses 2 core plug heaters in his methanol 598 BBM. They are plugged in until the coolant temp rise slows down and then he starts the engine. EFI with methanol pretty much eliminates the warm-up dance I read about with methanol MFI and primers and lean outs...
The block heater does stop the warm up issues but an oil heater should be used regardless.
There is still some fuel contamination in the oil running alky regardless if the block is warn but the oil will still get a bit contaminated till it gets over 150 degrees and cam burn off the fuel/water that gets in to it.
We run carbed and injected race engines with both oil and water heaters.
There is several nice plug in systems that run the oil or water through a portable heater for at the track use.
This is how we do it on our cars that way there is no worries of a plug at the track being over used we just hook it up to a portable gen set. Takes about 15-20 minutes then its race time :D
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Post by leahymtsps »

https://www.hotheadheater.com

Certainly not the cheapest but the best style.

Tom