LS "out of order"

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

LS "out of order"

Post by induction apprentice »

I am curious if anyone on ST has taken a step back and tested any LS engines utilizing different firing orders and intake configurations? I currently am building a EFI LS with a traditional singleplane 4 bbl configured intake. But with a 4 bbl efi throttle body and injectors positioned about 1.5" up the runner from the intake flange. Kinda traditional location. So the plenum and upper portion of the intake runner is basically dry. No fuel cloud. I am curious if the LS firing order is still a best choice when using an old school style intake. I believe the firing order finishes with the middle 4 cylinders in succession and in a circular pattern. I wonder how that effects pumping eficiency?
Are the middle 4 cylinders trying to compeat for air
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: LS "out of order"

Post by ProPower engines »

induction apprentice wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:57 am I am curious if anyone on ST has taken a step back and tested any LS engines utilizing different firing orders and intake configurations? I currently am building a EFI LS with a traditional singleplane 4 bbl configured intake. But with a 4 bbl efi throttle body and injectors positioned about 1.5" up the runner from the intake flange. Kinda traditional location. So the plenum and upper portion of the intake runner is basically dry. No fuel cloud. I am curious if the LS firing order is still a best choice when using an old school style intake. I believe the firing order finishes with the middle 4 cylinders in succession and in a circular pattern. I wonder how that effects pumping eficiency?
The LS firing order is the best way to go.
We have done many other engines using the LS or Ford firing order and seen gains and less vibrations and wear on bearings etc etc ect.
Correct the air flow through what ever induction system you have to the ports and you will be fine :D
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

This is an older post of mine. I was surprised no one had any thoughts regarding this. So I am taking another swing.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

induction apprentice wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:57 am I am curious if anyone on ST has taken a step back and tested any LS engines utilizing different firing orders and intake configurations? I currently am building a EFI LS with a traditional singleplane 4 bbl configured intake. But with a 4 bbl efi throttle body and injectors positioned about 1.5" up the runner from the intake flange. Kinda traditional location. So the plenum and upper portion of the intake runner is basically dry. No fuel cloud. I am curious if the LS firing order is still a best choice when using an old school style intake. I believe the firing order finishes with the middle 4 cylinders in succession and in a circular pattern. I wonder how that effects pumping eficiency?
Comparatively, A Ford "Cleveland" and 351 engines have been using that firing order forever; the 302 HO switched to it.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

viewtopic.php?t=46463

lots of circle track cars switch from traditional to the new firing order and call it a 4/7 - 2/3 swap.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

ProPower engines wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:24 pm
The LS firing order is the best way to go.
We have done many other engines using the LS or Ford firing order and seen gains and less vibrations and wear on bearings etc etc ect.
Correct the air flow through what ever induction system you have to the ports and you will be fine :D
Yes
again it works well but you need to taylor the intake system to suit.
There is other engines that use the same firing order and a carb with no distribution issues thats what you learn on the dyno and correct with a divider of cross jetting the carb or both. With a correct spacer combo they work fine depending on what intake you want to use.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

induction apprentice wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:57 am I believe the firing order finishes with the middle 4 cylinders in succession and in a circular pattern. I wonder how that effects pumping eficiency?
All 3 common firing orders have the middle 4 cylinders firing in order.
Std: 4-3-6-5
4/7: 3-6-5-4
LSx: 6-5-4-3

All 3 sequentially fire 2 cylinders next to each other
Std: 5-7
4/7: 4-2
LSx: 3-1

All 3 sequentially fire both cylinders on the same throw, on 3 of the 4 throws.
Std: Throws 1,2, and 3
4/7: Throws 1,3 and 4
LSx: Throws 2,3 and 4
This is the biggest advantage of the LS firing order. Firing back to back on the rear 3 throws reduces stress on the crank.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

CamKing wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:53 pm
induction apprentice wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:57 am I believe the firing order finishes with the middle 4 cylinders in succession and in a circular pattern. I wonder how that effects pumping eficiency?
All 3 common firing orders have the middle 4 cylinders firing in order.
Std: 4-3-6-5
4/7: 3-6-5-4
LSx: 6-5-4-3

All 3 sequentially fire 2 cylinders next to each other
Std: 5-7
4/7: 4-2
LSx: 3-1

All 3 sequentially fire both cylinders on the same throw, on 3 of the 4 throws.
Std: Throws 1,2, and 3
4/7: Throws 1,3 and 4
LSx: Throws 2,3 and 4
This is the biggest advantage of the LS firing order. Firing back to back on the rear 3 throws reduces stress on the crank.
Thank you. That was a great answer. I can now let the idea RIP.