Data recorder equipment

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dragsinger
Expert
Expert
Data recorder equipment

Post by Dragsinger »

Which company do you like for a user-friendly system? Also, which company gives good tech support?
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Re: Data recorder equipment

Post by Rick! »

Autometer (STACK Data Pro) is geared towards drag racers. They have a rock star named Mark who is outstanding for support.
https://www.autometer.com/10-500-rpm-du ... -mfdl.html

Racepak. I don't know about their support after Holley ate them up. There are a few dealers that offer great support, like Greg Kelley (poster on DRR).

RPM seems to be used by several racers. I have no experience with it.

MSD Grid boxes have the ability to record way more than RPM and timing curves but most don't enable extra channels.

Nearly every EFI ECU has data acquisition, some more configurable than others.

Do you have a budget?
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

I have used the RPM and was very happy. I don’t have any other experience with others so I can’t compare them.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

I have used AIM stuff
Seems ok...
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

FC-Pilot wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:01 pm I have used the RPM and was very happy. I don’t have any other experience with others so I can’t compare them.

Paul
That’s what I’m looking at. My fear is (with any brand) how user friendly the software is for someone who isn’t computer friendly.

I don’t want to spend countless hours trying to learn something I would hope would be pretty self explanatory and intuitive. Some of what I’ve found online for the software seems pretty cumbersome but you can’t really use it online.

That’s what’s hobbling my purchase...fear and distrust of software...and the fear is real!
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

I’ve installed a few Racepac’s one on a pulling truck the other on a quick 16 car. Fairly easy to use lots of ways to tailor the setup to given motor sports disciplines. All of my other experience has been with what a typical engine management system gives you. Nice thing with the racepac was that you could log a lot of other items besides engine parameters, which is all you log on an engine management system. I haven’t got to mess with any of the others you listed personally
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

ClassAct wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:18 am
FC-Pilot wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:01 pm I have used the RPM and was very happy. I don’t have any other experience with others so I can’t compare them.

Paul
That’s what I’m looking at. My fear is (with any brand) how user friendly the software is for someone who isn’t computer friendly.

I don’t want to spend countless hours trying to learn something I would hope would be pretty self explanatory and intuitive. Some of what I’ve found online for the software seems pretty cumbersome but you can’t really use it online.

That’s what’s hobbling my purchase...fear and distrust of software...and the fear is real!
The two best data systems available to the amateur racer are the MoTec and AiM systems.
We sell, service and support both.

Support and race experience are far more valuable than the hardware or software.
Send me your email address and I'll something to consider.

And/or you can post any questions you may have regarding data logging on this thread; I'd be happy to answer
them for you.
tuffxf
Pro
Pro

Post by tuffxf »

G,day,
I use the rpm gear, easy enough to use and any questions Randy and his mate were excellent with help,
very well priced compared to some of the others, one of the best things i did.
Cheers
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

Paul

Download the software and play with the example data.
It's pretty simple to configure the graphs and use whatever trigger to zero runs.
It appears to be able to record up to 250Hz but t doesn't say in the Help whether individual channel recording frequencies is an option.
One odd thing is that when Help is open, you can't change anything on the graph display or use the drop downs.
The log book is a little clunky but it's somewhere to put your time slip data. It also calculates intervals.

https://www.rpmperf.com/software.html

For Autometer, download or watch the videos:
https://www.autometer.com/software-downloads/

Racepak just opens the datalog file you select and you pick the channels you want to display, nothing special.
You can create math channels on the fly if you want and do other operations.

Fear is False Entities Appearing Real.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Most data logging systems become little more than electronic stopwatches...with a small memory.

Many are sold by suppliers who have little or no real knowledge regarding the products they sell.
As a result, systems are underutilized and funds are overspent.

The objective of data logging is to improve your competitiveness, and if a system does not do
that, it has little value.

How will you go faster? What information do you need to make you more competitive, to make
you smarter than the rest of the pack?

Your first task is not to buy a data logger, but rather to make up a wish list of everything you
would like to know about your vehicle: engine, driveline, suspension, brakes, tires, driver, etc. etc.
Only then can one make an intelligent choice regarding the sensors that will be needed.

Next, find someone who can explain and train you on the use and derived benefits to you
regarding the type of vehicle and your mode of racing.

Then, with some expert assistance, select the data system that meets all your requirements,
both short and long term. And that it gets installed properly and configured correctly.

Quickly, begins the never ending journey of collecting information and improving your understanding
of your racing activities; of separating fact from fiction. And going much faster.

Soon, no one at the track will help you, or give you advice. But they will ask for help from you.
406shark

Post by 406shark »

I ran a Computech system in my S-10 and really liked it. Mine was a fresh build, so I spent the extra and went with the LCD dash. It was cheaper than buying individual gauges. I received excellent customer service from them, even calling the cell number of the guy on the weekend while I was at the track for information. It saved me headaches, and money, in sorting out my drivetrain. Most of my time spent was tracking the engine RPM vs driveshaft RPM vs G meter. It also allowed me to find an oil pan issue down track, loosing pressure on deceleration, before causing a problem.

They will work with you on setting up a package with what sensors you think you'll need/want. I found the software easy to navigate.

Jeff
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

David Redszus wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:02 am

Paul

The two best data systems available to the amateur racer are the MoTec and AiM systems.
We sell, service and support both.

Support and race experience are far more valuable than the hardware or software.
Send me your email address and I'll something to consider.

And/or you can post any questions you may have regarding data logging on this thread; I'd be happy to answer
them for you.

PM sent