Did I chose the wrong heads?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

steve316
Expert
Expert

Re: Did I chose the wrong heads?

Post by steve316 »

With your heads & compression your combination want to be shifted between 7000 to 7400. I am saying this because peak HP will be above 6600. Run a cam with 268 to 272 intake; with 12 degree more exhaust on 110 lsa.
Your heads and compression is what's moving your shift rpm up; the cam you have would still want 7000 shift point.
This is just my experience, your may be different; good luck with your build.
ChevelleNut

Post by ChevelleNut »

As far as the cam goes, I gave a cam manufacturer all of my info after I figured out how I wanted to build it. He ground the cam that I currently have, for my combo. He asked me how many RPM I was looking to turn it, I told him 6,800 - 7,000 max. If I put a larger cam in it, it's just going to run my powerband up higher and want more RPM. I have a 274/286 solid roller Lunati on the shelf. ,714/.714 on a 112 LSA, but I thought it would be suited better for the 525 build later down the road.

According to the lift numbers, it looks like the heads are done by .700 anyway. .650ish lift would be enough, I would think. The cam I have doesn't quite reach that, but would be close with the 1.72 rockers I'm going to run. It would be .627/.636.

I was interested to see exactly what specs David Vizzard came up with, just out of curiosity.

As far as the heads go, I appreciate the info from you guys. Every once in a while a guy second guess himself, but I agree with y'all that the 312's give me room to grow over the ovals.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

ChevelleNut wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:27 am As far as the cam goes, I gave a cam manufacturer all of my info after I figured out how I wanted to build it. He ground the cam that I currently have, for my combo. He asked me how many RPM I was looking to turn it, I told him 6,800 - 7,000 max. If I put a larger cam in it, it's just going to run my powerband up higher and want more RPM. I have a 274/286 solid roller Lunati on the shelf. ,714/.714 on a 112 LSA, but I thought it would be suited better for the 525 build later down the road.

According to the lift numbers, it looks like the heads are done by .700 anyway. .650ish lift would be enough, I would think. The cam I have doesn't quite reach that, but would be close with the 1.72 rockers I'm going to run. It would be .627/.636.

I was interested to see exactly what specs David Vizzard came up with, just out of curiosity.

As far as the heads go, I appreciate the info from you guys. Every once in a while a guy second guess himself, but I agree with y'all that the 312's give me room to grow over the ovals.
Any idea what rpm you will turn through the lights with 28" tyre and 4.1s??
Lunati cam might be a bit big but why not try it ??
What stick did DV recommend??
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
ChevelleNut

Post by ChevelleNut »

steve cowan wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:40 am Any idea what rpm you will turn through the lights with 28" tyre and 4.1s??
I don't have a clue to be honest. It's a complete new build.

From a longevity standpoint, the cam I had ground for it makes more sense. Less Rpm, less spring pressure.

He hasn't suggested one yet. He wanted pictures of the heads. I posted them and haven't heard from him yet.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

ChevelleNut wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:48 am
steve cowan wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:40 am Any idea what rpm you will turn through the lights with 28" tyre and 4.1s??
I don't have a clue to be honest. It's a complete new build.

From a longevity standpoint, the cam I had ground for it makes more sense. Less Rpm, less spring pressure.

He hasn't suggested one yet. He wanted pictures of the heads. I posted them and haven't heard from him yet.
at 3500 pounds and 700hp should run high 9s at around 134 and your gear and tyre should be 6600-6700 rpm at the stripe,that's using Moroso calculator so take it for what it is.
M-T engines and Steve 316 have fast BBC stuff,there the guys I would be talking to. :D
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"