One hydraulic lifter flowing way too much oil, can it be fixed?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PRH
Guru
Guru

Re: One hydraulic lifter flowing way too much oil, can it be fixed?

Post by PRH »

That motor was here for a cam change, and that odd lifter wear just happened to be something I discovered when I took it apart.
After seeing the wear pattern on all the lobes was quite wide and basically running right down the center, I put it in the lathe and checked the lobe taper........ and found almost none.

The new cam had .002, and I verified proper lifter rotation prior to installing the intake manifold.
It’s been fine for a couple of years so far.

That lifter in the pic doesn’t appear to have ever rotated. Could it be partly from run out on the face? Sure...... especially with no lobe taper.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
abi

Post by abi »

Thought I would update this thread, turned out some of the stock pushrods began to eat themselves at the rocker end. The pushrods began to erode at the oil hole and gradually grow until most of the tip had disapeared. This was the case with the non-rotating one, replaced all pushrods with new Manley's and all is good, all pushrods rotating nicely. The squirter tappet is still in place, will have to see how it goes.
Thanks for all the help with this one.
Cheers
ABI
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

The squirter tappet is still in place, will have to see how it goes.
And still shooting oil over the fender I assume?
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
abi

Post by abi »

Yes, its still shooting oil over the fender, not happy about it but will have to wait till I need to remove the intake for whatever the reason, maybe never! I'm just going to cross my fingers. Oil pressure at idle is 35 -40PSI hot with a stock volume and pressure mellings 800RPM, I hope it doesent empty the sump into the rocker cover at high RPM.