Can I Rotate Crank on Crank/Balancer Bolt Only

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Cris
Pro
Pro

Can I Rotate Crank on Crank/Balancer Bolt Only

Post by Cris »

OK, amateur's question, can I rotate the crank by using a 7/16-20 bolt in the snout of the crank? The balancer is off and I need to rotate the crank. Had a nagging thought on whether the bolt could shear? Also I do see some tools that catch the keyway in the crank for rotating without the balancer.

Thanks, Cris
jed
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Can I Rotate Crank on Crank/Balancer Bolt Only

Post by jed »

yes you can use the 7/16 x 20 balancer bolt and washer threaded into the crankshaft to rotate the crankshaft.
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro

Post by Lizardracing »

I welded on a another head from a another bolt, just put the heads together and weld them and grind down the weld on all six flats. That makes the head extra tall and the socket stays on better.
I've also welded on an old 1/2 drive socket to a proper sized bolt and use it for assembly only. A breaker bar makes it easy.
A crank socket that a bunch of people sell work really good too but once the damperr is on not so much.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I wouldn't do it on an assembled engine. With the bolt torqued to spec, the bolt will rotate and tighten even further. Stripped threads or a broken bolt will ruin your day. The aluminum crank sockets are cheap. Old balancers can be used by honing the ID and putting bolts in for turning with a pry bar.
DSCN1318.JPG
Another old balancer can be used with the bolt holes drilled out and bolted to the face of an installed balancer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
So much to do, so little time...
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

I do it all the time, you just want a washer on the bolt, and do not pick one too long as it may damage threads. Or you can use a simple adjustable wrench, adjusted the diameter of the crank locked against the key on the crank, done that a million times as well.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

I was just going to mention the crescent wrench trick. No special tools needed.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Chris,
Just use some common sense. The torque on the bolt is normally about 60 lbft If for some reason it feels like it is taking more than that then stop and find out why. Like the others said use a high quality bolt and washer and make sure it is long enough to get plenty of threads engaged.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
jacksoni
Guru
Guru

Post by jacksoni »

from the "similar topics" bottom of the page: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21947
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

If it takes more than 60 ftlb. something isn't right. With plugs in & some compression maybe a different story.
Jim
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

77cruiser wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:31 pm If it takes more than 60 ftlb. something isn't right. With plugs in & some compression maybe a different story.
I think it best when the short block turns over at 6ft/lbs or less :D
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

The OP didn't exactly say what the state of the engine was, or if it was a hypothetical question, "rotate the crank". I have never been able to rotate an engine in the car by the crank bolt, even the anemic 8:1 CR SBC engines all of my cars came with. That is what the home built tools are for. On an engine stand the situation is different and the options are many. I put a flex plate on the crank for a handle when I install it. The flex plate makes rotating the engine easy.
So much to do, so little time...
Cris
Pro
Pro

Post by Cris »

Guys, thanks for the responses. Engine is on a stand, it's an 292 chevy inline six. With the plugs in, it will exceed 50 lb-ft if I rotate it and don't let the compression bleed off. Without the plugs, the breakaway torque will exceed 40 lb-ft, but takes somewhere between 30 and 40 lb-ft after that. This is a GM replacement engine from the 80's ish. I have opened it up and it looks new inside. I am about to run a leakdown test on it, it passed a compression test with flying colors. I got paranoid when I saw there were actual tools to go on the snout of the crank.....and read the horror stories of broken bolts in the crankshaft.

Merry Christmas!