Solid roller wheel size

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Solid roller wheel size

Post by Walter R. Malik »

mopardave wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:10 pm Hey thanks Brad. Long time no speak. I think my lobe lift is .416, thinking seriously about the BAM lifter. Looking like a nice quality to price lifter.
Lobe lift really does not matter for uncovering the oil gallery at max lift. It is always near the same position; (near the height of the camshaft main journal). That is why a smaller base circle camshaft can work for that application however, just buying the "shielded" Crower lifters is the easiest way to fix the issue; (unless you bush the lifter bores).
Crower part number for the lifters with a shielded roller - 66384-16
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Walter R. Malik wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:36 pm
mopardave wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:10 pm Hey thanks Brad. Long time no speak. I think my lobe lift is .416, thinking seriously about the BAM lifter. Looking like a nice quality to price lifter.
Lobe lift really does not matter for uncovering the oil gallery at max lift. It is always near the same position; (near the height of the camshaft main journal). That is why a smaller base circle camshaft can work for that application however, just buying the "shielded" Crower lifters is the easiest way to fix the issue; (unless you bush the lifter bores).
Crower part number for the lifters with a shielded roller - 66384-16
I really don't understand why other roller lifter manufacturers haven't addressed this issue ... I guess they must figure it is not a large enough market for them.
mopardave

Post by mopardave »

I don’t understand why either. Been an issue for a long time. The part number Crower gave me is 66233H for needle bearing and pin oiling.
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

I wonder if Spintron will say the same thing...
mopardave

Post by mopardave »

Who makes the Herbert cam roller lifters?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

mopardave wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:09 pm I don’t understand why either. Been an issue for a long time. The part number Crower gave me is 66233H for needle bearing and pin oiling.
That is not the "shielded" roller lifter.

The people who man the Crower tech line are really not very well informed about their own products as they just read a catalog on the phone.
I finally got to talk will an older guy in the shop to get something "custom" that I wanted.
That "shielded" lifter with a small block Ford tie-bar works well in a Plymouth "Poly" engine, also. The guy on the tech line didn't even know what a "Poly" was.
Last edited by Walter R. Malik on Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

mopardave wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:29 am Who makes the Herbert cam roller lifters?
Morel
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

My remarks on roller tappets on my site here: http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/roller-adapt.htm
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

To Mopardave, for the best results on performance and other concerns as well, when building from scratch one should decide which lifter / wheel size / rocker arm ratio will be used and then with a whole lot of other info. let the Camshaft grinder give you the best design. Just adding bigger lifter wheels to an existing cam may not be worth a lot ?? Mark H. :?:
mopardave

Post by mopardave »

malik, is this lifter 66384-16 push rod oil and pin oiled? I'm switching out a SFT cam for the solid roller. 1.6/1.5 HS rocker combo.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

mopardave wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:02 am malik, is this lifter 66384-16 push rod oil and pin oiled? I'm switching out a SFT cam for the solid roller. 1.6/1.5 HS rocker combo.
Standard, they have pushrod oiling; offset pushrod cups or roller pin oiling is available as options or at least those were 6 month ago.

The 66384H with the S.B. Ford tie bars is what I got then. The "H" in the part number was for "hippo" roller axle pressure oiling.