LS intake on a SBC gen1

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dfarr67
Expert
Expert
LS intake on a SBC gen1

Post by dfarr67 »

Wondering what would the performance be like for a gen3 LS intake for a SBC?
- Maybe quantify the engine- 383 cid with good aftermarket heads.
- Probably no interest in creating a new type intake in the aftermarket- so won't happen.
- Consider TPI as gen1, Vortec gen2, LS gen3.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Re: LS intake on a SBC gen1

Post by cv67 »

Yes, LS not interchangeable with the others
Is this an EFi application, what are you after?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

dfarr67 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:21 pm Wondering what would the performance be like for a gen3 LS intake for a SBC?
- Maybe quantify the engine- 383 cid with good aftermarket heads.
- Probably no interest in creating a new type intake in the aftermarket- so won't happen.
- Consider TPI as gen1, Vortec gen2, LS gen3.
Port layout is not adaptable; not even close.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

This is a theoretical exercise for modern oem type of intake on obsolete engine that is still going strong. LS intake will not cross over.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

dfarr67 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:06 pm This is a theoretical exercise for modern oem type of intake on obsolete engine that is still going strong. LS intake will not cross over.
An LS intake is pretty close to an older Plymouth "Poly" engine. I have already adapted that combination.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:02 pm
dfarr67 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:06 pm This is a theoretical exercise for modern oem type of intake on obsolete engine that is still going strong. LS intake will not cross over.
An LS intake is pretty close to an older Plymouth "Poly" engine. I have already adapted that combination.
- Why would that be done?
- Was it cost effective?
- Which version did you use?
- How did you like the end result- would you do it again??
Ladderbar

Post by Ladderbar »

Don't they have an ls type cly head for a gen1
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

dfarr67 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:30 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:02 pm
- Why would that be done?
- Was it cost effective?
- Which version did you use?
- How did you like the end result- would you do it again??
Engine Masters Competition; Vintage Class ... filled the roof of a Cathedral port manifold and made spacer/adapters.

Some people do whatever they have to do to get a good result no matter how much time you invest or whatever the cost effectiveness.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

Ladderbar wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:17 pm Don't they have an ls type cly head for a gen1
I guess a Splayed valve head looks KINDA like an LS. those heads can make over 1000hp NA on a SBC
Tom Walker
Pro
Pro

Post by Tom Walker »

World products offers a block that accepts standard small block Chevy rotating assemblies, but the decks are drilled to accept LS style heads and corresponding intake manifolds. They call it their "Hybrid" block. Readily available.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

as far as tuned runner lengths that would be comparable to the ls design on a gen1 sbc.. accel super ram, tpi intakes, holley stealth ram, edelbrock proflo xt. and maybe the closest would be a precision cnc made cross ram with a common plenum. all are long to medium length tuned runner deals.

I am surprised there was never more development on this type of stuff on the gen1 stuff.
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

a Splayed valve head looks KINDA like an LS

The LS has parallel valves, just like SBC...
... and 1949 Oldsmobile & Cadillac.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Bill Chase wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:36 am as far as tuned runner lengths that would be comparable to the ls design on a gen1 sbc.. accel super ram, tpi intakes, holley stealth ram, edelbrock proflo xt. and maybe the closest would be a precision cnc made cross ram with a common plenum. all are long to medium length tuned runner deals.

I am surprised there was never more development on this type of stuff on the gen1 stuff.
I see the LS intake as a better/cheaper TPI, TPI plenum is dropped down into valley and runners fold over center in a compact manner.

I'm with you on the development- The SBC Gen1 just doesn't seem to want to go away.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

A LS style intake for a SBC would be nice but people are cheap, the only reason so many LS stay EFI is because you can't drop a carb on it as easily/cheaply as a SBC and it's cheap/easy to keep factory EFI. Tons of cheap used SBC carb intakes and HEI's. To convert SBC to a good EFI you need everything, so then might as well just go LS.

There was a two part plastic SBC intake, it had sealing issues because those who would spend the money for it were making good power. The LS block is more ridged for a plastic intake to keep seal. Plus I think the separating of all runners allows for more movement & a better seal. If they had made the base out of alum and the runners/plenum plastic then it might of done better.

I think the SBC layout is just wrong for a lot of things needed to make a really good EFI intake and those who use one prefer simple, those who want high tech just go LS.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Ladderbar wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:17 pm Don't they have an ls type cly head for a gen1
"All Pro" has several SBC heads which are better power makers than LS factory heads and a lot of aftermarket offerings;
inline and 15 degree or 13 degree or 11 degree.