Speed-Talk is running on www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

PCV Air Oil Separator or Catch Can

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

vht
Re: PCV Air Oil Separator or Catch Can

Post by vht »

I was thinking that the L88 would be a good place to start. They had a radical cam and I found some possibilities on places like Camaro Central but they are like $22 so I'd hate to buy to many of them to experiment. I have a 850 Holley, it's an older one with 4 corner idle and was brand new in the box when I found it. On the back of the base plate where the vacuum tube usually is, it has a 1/8 in pipe plug. I figured I could plumb one in there.
BradH
HotPass
HotPass

Post by BradH »

While I was researching the M/E Wagner PCV valve, I read about how the PCV valve manufacturers have been cutting down on the different part numbers, especially for older applications, and consolidating them under fewer & more generic options. So... you may WANT a PCV for a '69 L88, but you may GET the same part they now sell for a '73 307.
skinny z
Pro
Pro

Post by skinny z »

Not sure how these Fram PN's would play out. At the time that list was compiled I was searching for low idle vacuum valves. In the mix (and I don't recall what my search criteria was in the 5 years or so that has passed) is a "smogger" engine(s).
What I don't have are my test results and even if I did, the engine was on the way out with considerable crankcase pressure and reduced idle vacuum from the worn cylinders. The heads were fresh.

The list:

PCV.jpg

Looks like, at least to me, that the likelihood of a low vacuum installation would be something like the mid-late 60's 427. Solid roller engines IIRC. Low idle vacuum. That pairs the FV178 and FV181. The FV184 looks to be a smogger engine application. Not sure how they fared with engine vacuum. I believe it was around this time that GM was using ridiculously retarded initial ignition timing and port vacuum advance in an attempt to raise EGT and reduce idle emissions.

And a little functionality recap on how the gizmos work.

PCV.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gathering parts and knowledge...
vht

Post by vht »

That's why I didn't just go to Autozone. I don't know if some of these places like Camaro central that sell NOS stuff would be any better or not.