PCV Air Oil Separator or Catch Can

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

vht
Re: PCV Air Oil Separator or Catch Can

Post by vht »

I was thinking that the L88 would be a good place to start. They had a radical cam and I found some possibilities on places like Camaro Central but they are like $22 so I'd hate to buy to many of them to experiment. I have a 850 Holley, it's an older one with 4 corner idle and was brand new in the box when I found it. On the back of the base plate where the vacuum tube usually is, it has a 1/8 in pipe plug. I figured I could plumb one in there.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

While I was researching the M/E Wagner PCV valve, I read about how the PCV valve manufacturers have been cutting down on the different part numbers, especially for older applications, and consolidating them under fewer & more generic options. So... you may WANT a PCV for a '69 L88, but you may GET the same part they now sell for a '73 307.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Not sure how these Fram PN's would play out. At the time that list was compiled I was searching for low idle vacuum valves. In the mix (and I don't recall what my search criteria was in the 5 years or so that has passed) is a "smogger" engine(s).
What I don't have are my test results and even if I did, the engine was on the way out with considerable crankcase pressure and reduced idle vacuum from the worn cylinders. The heads were fresh.

The list:

PCV.jpg

Looks like, at least to me, that the likelihood of a low vacuum installation would be something like the mid-late 60's 427. Solid roller engines IIRC. Low idle vacuum. That pairs the FV178 and FV181. The FV184 looks to be a smogger engine application. Not sure how they fared with engine vacuum. I believe it was around this time that GM was using ridiculously retarded initial ignition timing and port vacuum advance in an attempt to raise EGT and reduce idle emissions.

And a little functionality recap on how the gizmos work.

PCV.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin
vht

Post by vht »

That's why I didn't just go to Autozone. I don't know if some of these places like Camaro central that sell NOS stuff would be any better or not.