General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chimpvalet
Pro
Pro
Laser Weld Crank

Post by chimpvalet »

Hello,

I've a nodular iron crank with perfect main and pin journals but a damaged thrust face. Local pro's are concerned that spray welding might yield micro-cracks. What about laser welding this?

Steve
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: Laser Weld Crank

Post by SupStk »

I've welded many cast cranks thrusts that have held up well. If magging them, they all have radial cracks, but never seem to cause a problem with breakage.

If you have a crank the bearing manufactures make an oversized thrust bearing for, it might be the best repair.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I recently made a search for 400 sbc. I found the part number, but no longer available. I suspect disappearance of these engines from rebuild shops has reduced the demand to nil. Machine shops want well over $100 to repair a thrust face.
So much to do, so little time...
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Who provides such a welding process number 1, and number 2 I bet it's more expensive then just sourcing another usable cast Crank !
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

In my area, Crankshaft City and Portland Engine Rebuilders. Price quotes were around $135. The reason we looked into it was because the crank had a very nice fresh regrind. Apparently it suffered from someone riding the clutch. You cannot buy an aftermarket 400 crank to use stock 400 rods. The counterweights are too large.
So much to do, so little time...