howard cams extreme black valves

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

garym
howard cams extreme black valves

Post by garym »

So I need to buy intake and exhaust valves for my 331 cu in sbc and I would like to know if anyone on this forum has used these valves (Howard Cams extreme black valves) and pros or cons on these valves. They are made in India according to their website and I was wondering the quality etc.The motor that I am building is very similar to what Grumpy ran in his sbc pro stock vega back in the day.The only exception is that I have Pro Maxx 225 aluminum heads going on this motor.This motor ran 9.67 @318+mph in the 1/4 mile with a pair of old 292 iron heads ported to the max as in Grumpy's sbc racing book with a edelbrock TR1Y manifold ported w/holly r4224 660 carbs.
So I am asking what you all think about these valves vs Competition Products Severe valves which are about 5 or 6 dollars cheaper and do not have the black nitride process on these valves. This engine project that I want to build is just a lot of spare parts that I have and would like to get some use on.
This is a GREAT forum and I enjoy reading the posts a lot. Hope to get some input on these valves vs the non nitride process stainless severe application valves that Competition Products sells. Thanks garym
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Re: howard cams extreme black valves

Post by mt-engines »

garym wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:21 pm So I need to buy intake and exhaust valves for my 331 cu in sbc and I would like to know if anyone on this forum has used these valves (Howard Cams extreme black valves) and pros or cons on these valves. They are made in India according to their website and I was wondering the quality etc.The motor that I am building is very similar to what Grumpy ran in his sbc pro stock vega back in the day.The only exception is that I have Pro Maxx 225 aluminum heads going on this motor.This motor ran 9.67 @318+mph in the 1/4 mile with a pair of old 292 iron heads ported to the max as in Grumpy's sbc racing book with a edelbrock TR1Y manifold ported w/holly r4224 660 carbs.
So I am asking what you all think about these valves vs Competition Products Severe valves which are about 5 or 6 dollars cheaper and do not have the black nitride process on these valves. This engine project that I want to build is just a lot of spare parts that I have and would like to get some use on.
This is a GREAT forum and I enjoy reading the posts a lot. Hope to get some input on these valves vs the non nitride process stainless severe application valves that Competition Products sells. Thanks garym
I have run them on a few turbo engines and a few nitrous engines.. Actually put in another order for them for another turbo engine. I wish they came in 50 degree seat so i can go 45 or 55 to my liking.