Billet hyd roller cam core....which gear?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bob460
Expert
Expert

Re: Billet hyd roller cam core....which gear?

Post by bob460 »

MELWAY wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:46 am
bob460 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:12 pm Carbon ultra-poly composite.........https://www.tritecmotorsports.com/products/gears

Would you say these are better than the Comp black composite gears?

Night and day difference, quality of the tritec compared to the comp's ( im no engine builder)............buddy was using msd bronze gear and wearing it out @1000km.... 750hp sbf, so he got one of the tritec's 8000km later looks brand new no wear.

Years ago he was @600hp and was getting heaps of km's out of a bronze gear, but since msd was sold and went to China made S**T they have taken a dump in quality.

I will be getting one soon for my big block ford............i'ts good to know one less part to worry about.......might be pricey to some, BUT well worth the money.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

I have been using Chinese HEIs here for several years. They come with a steel gear. My GTO is street driven & pegs the oil gauge at 60 psi once engine reaches about 2000 rpm. Have been using this set up for over two years now, monitoring ign timing for signs of wear, plus visual inspection. No wear. In contrast, friend who has the same engine, has done less miles than my engine, has 70# spring, has noticeable wear on his plastic/poly/expensive gear.
MELWAY
Guru
Guru

Post by MELWAY »

bob460 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:38 pm
MELWAY wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:46 am
bob460 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:12 pm Carbon ultra-poly composite.........https://www.tritecmotorsports.com/products/gears

Would you say these are better than the Comp black composite gears?

Night and day difference, quality of the tritec compared to the comp's ( im no engine builder)............buddy was using msd bronze gear and wearing it out @1000km.... 750hp sbf, so he got one of the tritec's 8000km later looks brand new no wear.

Years ago he was @600hp and was getting heaps of km's out of a bronze gear, but since msd was sold and went to China made S**T they have taken a dump in quality.

I will be getting one soon for my big block ford............i'ts good to know one less part to worry about.......might be pricey to some, BUT well worth the money.
Thanks. That’s good to hear. I have been seeing big issues with junk msd gears
Have always been scared of a composite gear breaking teeth or chewing up.
Will def give these a try
3370lb Sedan 9.89@136MPH 358chevN/A
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

MELWAY wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:18 am
bob460 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:38 pm

Thanks. That’s good to hear. I have been seeing big issues with junk msd gears
Have always been scared of a composite gear breaking teeth or chewing up.
Will def give these a try
No worries......James have you ever used Isotropic process finish on your roller cams?

https://scontent.fmel4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=602EC12B
MELWAY
Guru
Guru

Post by MELWAY »

No I haven’t. Only did some diff gears

Have you had them done to help dizzy gear wear?
3370lb Sedan 9.89@136MPH 358chevN/A
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Bronze will work well on any camshaft gear ... just keep an eye on it wearing.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

MELWAY wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:53 am No I haven’t. Only did some diff gears

Have you had them done to help dizzy gear wear?
Well that's the plan, might even get crank and rods done aswell. I see Glenn Wells does it to his builds, so will give it a try.