Need a bigger Holley main body upgrade for a old 950.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Need a bigger Holley main body upgrade for a old 950.

Post by NXBOY »

Heard the proform 950 was a bit bigger in the Venturi but the one I had in past had core shift in bores. Heard the holley true 950 is a poor design. Need to find one that is about 50 cfm bigger then the old 950 cfm, They flow around 830-840 wet CFM. I have a milled ported 9380 will this flow more?? Plate has stainless blades and thinned shafts and butten head screws. Leaving off transbreak with 521 cubes-800ish HP 1/8mile street strip.., Thanks
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Need a bigger Holley main body upgrade for a old 950.

Post by Walter R. Malik »

NXBOY wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:26 am Heard the proform 950 was a bit bigger in the Venturi but the one I had in past had core shift in bores. Heard the holley true 950 is a poor design. Need to find one that is about 50 cfm bigger then the old 950 cfm, They flow around 830-840 wet CFM. I have a milled ported 9380 will this flow more?? Plate has stainless blades and thinned shafts and butten head screws. Leaving off transbreak with 521 cubes-800ish HP 1/8mile street strip.., Thanks
Call BLP as they will CNC a main body venturi to almost any shape you want.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

The early zinc Proform bodies I used did indeed have some pretty noticeable core shift in the venturi area.

The recent aluminum QFT bodies I’ve seen more recently seem to be fine in that area.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Just a "brain dump" of my OPINIONS based on the OP's info:
- 500+ cubes and that much HP needs a 4500 (Dominator) carb
- Cheapest proof-of-concept with a main body swap is probably getting a Holley 134-302SA aluminum 850 HP main body (1.56" venturi w/ down leg boosters) for about $150
- QFT/Proform main bodies are good enough now that a number of carb builders use them; even Braswell offers an "economy" (all things being relative) option for 4150s that use them
- The current carb w/ a "bigger" new main body may also need additional mods such as bigger angle channels in the metering blocks, etc.; if you're not an experienced carb tuner, be prepared that it could be more than a simple main body swap to get it dialed in
- My first thought was the same as Mr. Malik's, i.e. get a BLP BX4 main body sized & boostered (is that even a word?) based on their recommendation; their main bodies w/ down leg boosters start at about $300, but that doesn't account for any additional changes required as noted previously

Carry on...
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

I'm not a expert but i don't mind fine tuning passages and such. Done did all I can to the throttle plate , thin blades and button screws on thinned shafts. I will be using a set of quick fuel blocks. got three emulsion ones and I think four and five, but always take some out in the 4 and 5s emus. I have a freind that has like a 1000 or 1050 Quick fuel shiny old one I think with red anullars. How is this carb? I'll look into that aluminum 850 also, Thanks
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

I'd suggest you join this forum and post this stuff on there, too. Lots of smart carb people on there (I don't consider myself in that group) who can provide feedback & guidance: http://racingfuelsystems.com/viewforum.php?f=5

All I can tell you about the QFT 1050-AN main body is that I built a nice carb around one, but wasn't sure I got it really dialed in before selling it cuz I simply had too many on hand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.