Are these cams opposite?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

suprf1y
Are these cams opposite?

Post by suprf1y »

GM 1.4 LUV/LUJ

If I recall from when I looked at them, because of the placement in the head they are ground opposite each other.

These guys are selling a cam for the intake and recommending that you install the stock intake cam (more lift and duration) on the exhaust side. Am I right that this could be trouble?

https://zzperformance.com/collections/s ... mance-cams

You can see in this pic the inverse radii are opposite

I/PS land speed record holder
dannobee
Expert
Expert
Re: Are these cams opposite?

Post by dannobee »

Isn't it common for Miata people to swap the intake cam for a bigger exhaust cam? IIRC, they either count the number of teeth when installing (the timing marks no longer line up), or they drill a hole in the gear with the proper offset. I haven't looked at how a Cruze is set up, but I doubt it would be much different.
suprf1y

Post by suprf1y »

The Miata has a bucket style setup so the lobes are symmetrical. The GM motor has roller followers.
I just wondered, is what I think I’m seeing correct, and if so, what happens when you have the inverse radius on the closing ramp?
suprf1y

Post by suprf1y »

Either this forum is dead or I asked the wrong question.

I had the chance to look at a set of these cams and they are definitely ground opposite each other.

So I ask, what do you think the effect will be of running the intake cam on the exhaust with the inverse radius on the wrong side?
Aussie Dave

Post by Aussie Dave »

Hi mate, I’m no expert, I’ve been wasting a lot of time on this stuff. This place is the best but Dohc, sohc, is very limited. I would suggest a pm to Cam King and give him time to reply. Very busy guy.
From what you’ve posted the inlet grind looks a bit bigger but with some softness. It may work for ok. But without some serious valve motion data who knows.🤷‍♂️
Aussie Dave

Post by Aussie Dave »

Hi mate, I’m no expert, I’ve been wasting a lot of time on this stuff. This place is the best but Dohc, sohc, is very limited. I would suggest a pm to Cam King and give him time to reply. Very busy guy.
From what you’ve posted the inlet grind looks a bit bigger but with some softness. It may work for ok. But without some serious valve motion data who knows.🤷‍♂️