Building a complete new fuel system...got some questions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Building a complete new fuel system...got some questions

Post by travis »

I’m building a complete carb to tank fuel system, and have a few questions. This is not a race car...just going to be a stout driver. Not a show car either, so functionality is much more important than bling. I also want this thing to be pretty much build it and forget it for years to come.

I’ve never used much AN line/fittings. What are the advantages of AN over typical flared fittings? Any disadvantages?

Will -6AN support 500-ish HP with a little room to grow if the need arises in the future?

What micron level of fuel filter should be between the tank and pump?

With ethanol laced pump fuels, is long term fuel line deterioration still an issue with braided stainless lines?

How long of a length is acceptable for braided stainless lines on a driver?

Is any particular brand of braided stainless lines better at resisting deterioration? Many times finding non-ethanol laced fuels is impossible.

I’m sure I’ll have more questions
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Re: Building a complete new fuel system...got some questions

Post by 77cruiser »

Could you be able to use an in tank electric pump?
Jim
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Travis,
My car,
-10 from tank through a shut off valve to a 80 micron filter,
-10 braided inside chassis rail to engine bay to a holley 200gph mechanical pump,
-8 from pump outlet to QFT fuel log to a holley bypass return after the carb and -8 back to tank
Same fuel system for lat 10 years with zero issues.
Might be hard to see but a photo of inside the fuel line,it is spotless..
Personally I would not use a fuel delivery line smaller than -8 .
20210126_131832.jpg
20210126_131701.jpg
20210126_131552.jpg
20210126_125507.jpg
20210126_125457.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

77cruiser wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:03 pm Could you be able to use an in tank electric pump?
I haven’t looked too deep into this, so it may be an option somehow. Since this isn’t a mainstream performance application, there isn’t much available in the way of major upgrades without spending serious $$$ and lots of fabrication
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

steve cowan wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:28 pm Travis,
My car,
-10 from tank through a shut off valve to a 80 micron filter,
-10 braided inside chassis rail to engine bay to a holley 200gph mechanical pump,
-8 from pump outlet to QFT fuel log to a holley bypass return after the carb and -8 back to tank
Same fuel system for lat 10 years with zero issues.
Might be hard to see but a photo of inside the fuel line,it is spotless..
Personally I would not use a fuel delivery line smaller than -8
Steve, you need to get out and drive that thing...it’s much too clean under there lol

I’ve read that 3/8” or -6 should feed up to 600 or so HP. Since this isn’t a race car, hopefully it will be ok. I’ve already got a chunk of money in a new tank and a rebuilt fuel sender, so again hopefully it will be ok.

Is your braided line the PTFE stuff? Do y’all have the ethanol laced stuff like we do here?
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

you may be correct about the size of fueline,I just prefere to oversize in that area,seen so many street guys have hot fuel issues and I am not one of them.i can't remember but I am sure my fuel line is the ethanol compatible as its 10 years old and memory getting fuzzy.
Not sure if they putting corn juice in our pump 98 but wouldn't surprise me,who now what's in it.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"