Super stock e7te ford heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Tucker Groce

Super stock e7te ford heads

Post by Tucker Groce »

For anyone who may be involved in the Super Stock fox mustang teams, do the 302 guys still use e7te heads? I do realize they would be heavily modified but could someone maybe give a ballpark as to what they flow and maybe some valve sizes?
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Re: Super stock e7te ford heads

Post by Jeff Lee »

I do not know anything about the cylinder heads but I do know in superstock, same as stock, you have to run the OEM size valves. This includes a stem diameter
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

In stock form these heads flow 160 on the intakes and 125 out the exh.

Interestingly these 125 cfm Exh numbers produced by these 302 cid are the same as what the non hi-po late model 460 cid heads flow so it's no wonder why motor homes with these motors can't get out of there own way, lol!

With stock valve sizes I have ported these up to 197 on the intakes and 145 on the Exh .

At a peak of 197 cfm with a stock valve size you do start to roll off low and mid lift flow numbers, so that needs to be considered!

Note that reworking those mangled Exh ports reall calls for a flow bench to guide you so you had better have a spare head to use as a mule head.

My 145 cfm number that I posted here all came in at .350" lift, and grinding for more high lift without going up to a 1.60" valve really started to take its toll on flow numbers below .300" lift.

I know with the earlier castings that by going up to a 1.94" valve that folks have got 240 cfm, but many of them have ground thru a port wall also at those needed dimensions!
You can view a ton more flow numbers by going to the Stan Weiss web site.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Sorry, my mind recalled the wrong stock Exh numbers, 105.7 is what I had now that I dug out my info from those test .
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Tucker Groce

Post by Tucker Groce »

Awesome thanks for the info! I plan on using 1.94 and 1.5 valves. I was thinking the biggest improvement to make in the exhaust port was to grind down the thermactor bumps.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

The E7's I ported I used 1.84/1.50 valves. I feel it gave a better shape to the SSR on the intake. There is not enough material there to lay the turn back to get a good shape with the 1.94's. There is a good thread here on porting them somewhere. I used some of the info there to do the set I worked on. They flowed decent, if I remember right they went 218@.600 lift. The first time I had them flowed they went turbulent and backed up over .400 lift. To fix that I removed about .080" of material from the top of the SSR and blended that in. That was worth about 15cfm gain above .400 lift. These heads ended up on a 4x4 truck on a junkyard type 393 windsor build. It had a lot of torque for lugging and towing. Didn't make much steam above 5500rpm though. I'm sure on a 302 they would have pulled good in the higher rpm's though.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

2 heads better than 1 - power porting E7TE iron.

D.V. thread that I had some input on.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

That was a good thread. I put your numbers into my copy of engine analyzer and the difference from stock was, well staggering.

Pity EA+ doesn't do accurate exhaust dimensions so I couldn't properly compare yours v DV.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Is there any particular reason you wouldn’t buy a set of aluminum aftermarket heads? The stock heads are dismal at best, and that much of an upsize on the intake valve is going to take lots of work to benefit from them, assuming a slightly smaller valve isn’t the better option for a modest effort.
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

I've ported a lot of 289 heads, which are similar. 1.94" and 1.60" are the biggest that will physically fit, and you'll barely get your thumb nail between them when assembled. Plus, opening the bowls to match the valves creates a high risk of breaking through to water. A safer choice would be to use 1.90" intake valves. For a street car, early 351W size valves (1.84"/1.56" I think) is a good size to go with.

I try to center the valve guide in the port the best I can, but trying too hard will find water... especially with a 351W head on the exhaust side.

As for the exhaust thermactor hump: I grind a STRAIGHT LINE from the roof of the port exit to the back of the bowl. This takes out a little valve guide, but opens up that huge choke point. Regardless of flow numbers, eliminating this bottleneck will make power. On the intake, I maximize line of sight and open the bowls as much as I dare. lol

I never used a flow bench, but did send one of my heads to a guy that wanted to see them, and in return he had it flowed. With several years of street/strip use and a valve job that needed freshened up, they flowed 217 cfm on the intake and 176 cfm on the exhaust. The intakes started out at 126cc, and were opened up to 155cc.

In a pump gas 3300 pound 306ci 1966 mustang pump gas street car with a 236/248 SFT 'Magnum' Comp Cam it ran 7.48 @ 92 and 6.73 @ 104 with a 200 hp plate. At the 1/4 it ran 10.63 @ 127. This was with a stock Toploader 4-speed and a 4.33 gear.

A new, similar 306 with aftermarket heads picked up quite a bit of power... especially with the nitrous. It ended up running 9.87 @ 136 with the same nitrous kit and 200hp setting. Slightly different 242/258 SFT cam, slightly bigger headers and a little suspension work.
brentry

Post by brentry »

These where /are for my kids 94. Gt40p. 1.90 ferrea valves.
Angled milled .120. 48.5cc chamber, if I remember. 230cfm. At 88%. . Could went more % but I didn't. Can't remember exact exhaust fow
Parker intake I still have to finish intake.
Did all csa areas in pipemax, then ran them thru eng mod 4
Center runners big on parker, needed epoxy. If I remember right for what I want.
Eventually I will get intake epoxy up and ported/flowed on heads and throw a cam in it. Before spring. .not lot time lately. Stock short block.
Screenshot_20210118-195939_Amazon Photos.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tucker Groce

Post by Tucker Groce »

rustbucket79 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:15 am Is there any particular reason you wouldn’t buy a set of aluminum aftermarket heads? The stock heads are dismal at best, and that much of an upsize on the intake valve is going to take lots of work to benefit from them, assuming a slightly smaller valve isn’t the better option for a modest effort.
I'm well aware of how horrible they are however I have a set, I have the ability to work on them, and it's going in a truck. So itd be a pretty cheap option to make decent horsepower.