What valves can I use

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1980RS
Guru
Guru
What valves can I use

Post by 1980RS »

I have been messing with an old set of ported Spread Port Brodix-10's I got for free last year so I thought I would put a little work into them and see if they would be some good heads to use. Here is my problem, after doing the cleanup and such I want to do a valve job but the heads have titanium valves and the tips are pretty beat up (people can't keep their lash right) so I know I can get some 1.6 exhaust SS valves but the intakes are 5/16" stem and WOW are they expensive. Anyone know another manufacturer that uses something that may work? I figures some of you guys have run into this in the past.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru
Re: What valves can I use

Post by rustbucket79 »

Why not install a set of 11/32 valve guides in the heads?
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I'm sure someone with more exp will chime in but could they be honed to 8mm?
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

The previous user of the heads did not know what the hell they where doing, as Titaium valves must be run with lash caps!

The simple fact that the stem tops are beat up is proof that he was not doing such!

If your not spinning the motor to a rpm that calls for Titainium valves then doing what is being suggested in the 2nd post here is the way to go, and yes even with steel valves if
Your running a Cam that needs lash then I would run lash caps and the needed retainers to do such!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

mag2555 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:48 am The previous user of the heads did not know what the hell they where doing, as Titaium valves must be run with lash caps!
Not if they have hardened tips.

Lack of oil, not enough spring pressure, wrong pushrod length, flexing pushrods, valve tips that are retired too far can cause this.

Regardless of that BS.. Why doesn't the OP just order some new guides. And run some $9 11/32 valves
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Ferrea and SI will make you whatever valves you want, at far less than titanium prices.

Did you mike the guides? Are they worn enough to need replacing?

Agree on the lash caps. Even with hardened tips, having lash caps forgives a lot of sins, even if they weigh a few grams.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

I was hoping I didnt blow $2000 of valves
FerreaValve.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

BOOT wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:02 am I'm sure someone with more exp will chime in but could they be honed to 8mm?
5/16 is .3125 8MM is .315 I am not a machinist, I do mess with some heads on an old seat and guide machine, a quick ream and hone should fix it right up.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

racear2865 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:21 am I was hoping I didnt blow $2000 of valves
FerreaValve.jpg
Call them up to clarify. Be sure to tell them what rockers you're using. And make sure that your geometry is spot on.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

mt-engines wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:30 am
mag2555 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:48 am The previous user of the heads did not know what the hell they where doing, as Titaium valves must be run with lash caps!
Not if they have hardened tips.

Lack of oil, not enough spring pressure, wrong pushrod length, flexing pushrods, valve tips that are retired too far can cause this.

Regardless of that BS.. Why doesn't the OP just order some new guides. And run some $9 11/32 valves
The point of using the heads was to run what I have in them. I thought something like a SBF valve might work on the cheap with the intakes. It looks like whoever machined the heads put liners in the bronze guides so they would need to be replaced. I did not want to put a ton of money into something this old, was just messing around to see if I could make some more old parts perform well again. It looks like I can get a new stone for my Souix valve grinder and a pilot also and if I go that route it will make the stuff work.
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

what size valves do you need ? Manley makes 5/16 stem valves in their Race series .I just check Jegs for 2.08 + .100 they were $204.xx a little more than the 11/32 valves . But almost $100 less than Severe duty.