Future of head porting

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Re: Future of head porting

Post by SpeierRacingHeads »

Here is what I know, aside all the normal life expenses. Mortgage, electric, etc. I pay $1896 a month for BCBS for health insurance.

If I can pay all my bills, and put money in savings, it's a successful small business, no matter what criteria you post.

PS, a year at Kansas University is $26,000. Just did it for a kid.

AND the smartest thing anyone could do is move out of California. My in-laws are there and I would give two cents to live in that nonsense.
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:20 am Here is what I know, aside all the normal life expenses. Mortgage, electric, etc. I pay $1896 a month for BCBS for health insurance.

If I can pay all my bills, and put money in savings, it's a successful small business, no matter what criteria you post.

AND the smartest thing anyone could do is move out of California. My in-laws are there and I would give two cents to live in that nonsense.
California is where the great jobs are.
To get one of those jobs you have to go to an excellent school or have a unique set of skills that are not taught in school.
Houses cost more here because people like to live in nice weather, live near the ocean, have good and maybe cutting-edge jobs, interesting places to go and things to do and the income to afford them.
Low cost of living locations have lower wages, in the end, people living in low cost of living locations have less disposable income and fewer job opportunities to develop their careers.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:07 am
SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:20 am Here is what I know, aside all the normal life expenses. Mortgage, electric, etc. I pay $1896 a month for BCBS for health insurance.

To get one of those jobs you have to go to an excellent school or have a unique set of skills that are not taught in school.
Houses cost more here because people like to live in nice weather, live near the ocean, have good and maybe cutting-edge jobs, interesting places to go and things to do and the income to afford them.
Low cost of living locations have lower wages, in the end, people living in low cost of living locations have less disposable income and fewer job opportunities to develop their careers.
This. As much as people like to rag on California, it is the world’s 5th biggest economy. Remove California and New York City (the 10th biggest economy in the world), a few other urban centers, and the nation starts looking pretty poor. With an industry built on people spending excess wealth, you need everyone to be strong as it increases everyone’s net worth.

I think if I was young and I wanted to get into cylinder heads, I would pursue a nursing or a career firefighter job like mentioned... both can provide 6 figures of income, great benefits, and a good retirement. It would then allow you to focus on your cylinder head business, invest profit into buying machines / technology, and you can be pickier about what you work on. Want to take a Triumph head and develop it to the max on a Superflow 1020 and have all the fancy tools and computer equipment to test? Go for it. You can charge more, but you don’t have to worry about doing volume work just to have revenue.
Last edited by hoffman900 on Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
-Bob
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:07 am

PS, the brown truck delivers anywhere. If you are good, location means nothing. We are talking self employed, your confusing Edelbrock with small business.
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:17 am OK, you say so.... PS, the brown truck delivers anywhere. If you are good, location means nothing. We are talking self employed, your confusing Edelbrock with small business.
The distinction I make between business and self employment, is that a good business does not require your work.
A business is a system of procedures that employees can follow.
Self employment does require your work.
For a young person making career choices, it is important to understand that distinction before making a choice.

I'm not confused about the business of Edelbrock or self employment, I have done both of those and more.
When I had my machine shop doing mostly aerospace work, I was self employed. BTW, you won't win lucrative bids if you are shipping UPS.
I was making good money but working long hours and doing it all myself, that was stupid self employment.

My friends that ran their shops as a business, employed people to do all of the work. After a few years, they are traveling any time they want to while I was working long hours.

After a few more years when they want to do something else, they can sell the business for multiples of the yearly income of the shop.

When I closed my shop, all I had was equipment to sell to vultures.

As the separation of classes continues to divide the haves from the have nots, a young person today should be learning what skills and knowledge determines the split. A young person should learn this before deciding what to do.

Number 1 is knowledge of how to employ people and money to work for you.
If they master that, they have far more freedom of choice in life.

People with that knowledge are not limited by the productivity of a tool that they use to produce something.

If after they have that knowledge well enough to do it, they then decide to run a machine or turn wrenches, then at least they made a fully informed decision, I am trying to think of anyone that made that decision and can't remember a single one.
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:22 pm
SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:17 am OK, you say so.... PS, the brown truck delivers anywhere. If you are good, location means nothing. We are talking self employed, your confusing Edelbrock with small business.
The distinction I make between business and self employment, is that a good business does not require your work.
A business is a system of procedures that employees can follow.
Self employment does require your work.
For a young person making career choices, it is important to understand that distinction before making a choice.

I'm not confused about the business of Edelbrock or self employment, I have done both of those and more.
When I had my machine shop doing mostly aerospace work, I was self employed. BTW, you won't win lucrative bids if you are shipping UPS.
I was making good money but working long hours and doing it all myself, that was stupid self employment.

My friends that ran their shops as a business, employed people to do all of the work. After a few years, they are traveling any time they want to while I was working long hours.

After a few more years when they want to do something else, they can sell the business for multiples of the yearly income of the shop.

When I closed my shop, all I had was equipment to sell to vultures.

As the separation of classes continues to divide the haves from the have nots, a young person today should be learning what skills and knowledge determines the split. A young person should learn this before deciding what to do.

Number 1 is knowledge of how to employ people and money to work for you.
If they master that, they have far more freedom of choice in life.

People with that knowledge are not limited by the productivity of a tool that they use to produce something.

If after they have that knowledge well enough to do it, they then decide to run a machine or turn wrenches, then at least they made a fully informed decision, I am trying to think of anyone that made that decision and can't remember a single one.
It's all good, but I don't agree.

Guess that is why I'm where I'm at and your where your at in life.

What I'm reading is to be successful, the person must have people doing all the work for them.

PS. Aerospace work, HTC is in Ohio.
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:44 pm
What I'm reading is to be successful, the person must have people doing all the work for them.

Right, labor will continue to be automated and moved offshore to low cost resources.
It is a big mistake for a young person to choose a career that involves labor that can be automated or off-shored.

There is a reason that the high paying companies in aerospace and advanced automotive technology are located in expensive areas in California...that is where the highly educated and skilled employees they need want to live.
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:03 pm
SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:44 pm

Right, labor will continue to be automated and moved offshore to low cost resources.
It is a big mistake for a young person to choose a career that involves labor that can be automated or off-shored.

There is a reason that the high paying companies in aerospace and advanced automotive technology are located in expensive areas in California...that is where the highly educated and skilled employees they need want to live.
So all you young people, move to California if you want to be highly educated.. LMFAO

Meanwhile major companies are headed towards Texas.

My hillbilly ass isn't smart enough for this thread. peace!
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:27 pm So all you young people, move to California if you want to be highly educated.. LMFAO

Meanwhile major companies are headed towards Texas.

My hillbilly ass isn't smart enough for this thread. peace!
Not what I said^^^

The companies that are moving to TX are typically the parts that have to cut costs to remain in business.
They are finding that their best employees are not following them to TX. If they are not doing cutting edge work, that may be OK for them.
The cutting edge jobs in the USA are in the Bay Area, LA and Orange county CA.
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:36 pm
Not what I said^^^

The companies that are moving to TX are typically the parts that have to cut costs to remain in business.
They are finding that their best employees are not following them to TX. If they are not doing cutting edge work, that may be OK for them.
You really know it all don't you? :roll:
High quality metal, body and paint work
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?t ... inia.9030/
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Chris_Hamilton wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:04 pm
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:36 pm
Not what I said^^^

You really know it all don't you? :roll:
I do my best to be well informed.
If you think that I have a misunderstanding about something, please explain.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

Never been to California, been to almost every state east of the Mississippi. Living in rural Missouri is one of the cheapest places to live in the US. Not very many 6 digit jobs. I have two degrees, and taught at Missouri's only state owned Technical college, was the department chair of two departments, and never made 6 digits. But I have 6 acres, 2,400 square foot home, 2,000 square foot shop. two trucks, one car, a race car, and two street rods, two boats, etc. etc. all are paid for, and I have seldom made over $70,000 in a year. I think when you talk about what is a living wage, and what is successful, people need to separate what you need from what you want. God knows I can spend any amount of money I earn.
I got two kids through college, my son is a mechanical engineer and lives in Iowa, would like to move home, but he told me just no jobs to compare with what he makes in Iowa. He makes well into that magic 6 digit salary, pays 4 times the taxes I do for a house in a subdivision, just for one thing.

I just like screwing around with cars, did it my whole life, had better job offers, but why leave my family and friends, for $10,000 a year? Plus here, I have a support system with my friends. If I need gravel for the driveway, call my buddy, and borrow his dump trailer, sewer had issues, my buddy would take no money to help me fix it, as he said he owed me a favor. Get the point? I have friends I went to school with that , got a degree, got a big job, but when they retired, most all moved back home.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

rebelrouser wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:47 pm Never been to California, been to almost every state east of the Mississippi. Living in rural Missouri is one of the cheapest places to live in the US. Not very many 6 digit jobs. I have two degrees, and taught at Missouri's only state owned Technical college, was the department chair of two departments, and never made 6 digits. But I have 6 acres, 2,400 square foot home, 2,000 square foot shop. two trucks, one car, a race car, and two street rods, two boats, etc. etc. all are paid for, and I have seldom made over $70,000 in a year. I think when you talk about what is a living wage, and what is successful, people need to separate what you need from what you want. God knows I can spend any amount of money I earn.
I got two kids through college, my son is a mechanical engineer and lives in Iowa, would like to move home, but he told me just no jobs to compare with what he makes in Iowa. He makes well into that magic 6 digit salary, pays 4 times the taxes I do for a house in a subdivision, just for one thing.

I just like screwing around with cars, did it my whole life, had better job offers, but why leave my family and friends, for $10,000 a year? Plus here, I have a support system with my friends. If I need gravel for the driveway, call my buddy, and borrow his dump trailer, sewer had issues, my buddy would take no money to help me fix it, as he said he owed me a favor. Get the point? I have friends I went to school with that , got a degree, got a big job, but when they retired, most all moved back home.
I was born in a small town in Ohio, moved to California to go Pro Stock racing back when all the teams were here.
Best thing that ever happened to me was the racing shops closing up shop and leaving.
It put me on a path to learning and taking on more interesting challenges.
Employers that paid to train me, sent me to work all over the world at world class companies.
Now I am working on the design of self-driving EVTOL (electric vertical take off and landing) cars.
Living at the beach in a home I never dreamed possible when I lived in Ohio.
All because my plans to be a mechanic became obsolete.

The point I am trying to help young people understand is that most manufacturing will become obsolete too, and they should have the skills in place to do something else.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

KnightEngines wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:19 am If it wasn't for Medicare I'd be broke, probably dead too:
Broken ankle
2x broken ribs & a separate broken rib on the other side.
Mangled hand (flycutter, 43 stitches, a pin in a bone, 2 repaired tendons & a skin graft)
2nd & 3rd degree burns to both hands, left arm, left foot & left side of face.
2x broken nose
Broken finger
Broken toe
2x bulged discs
90 odd assorted stitches
30-40 metal splinters in eyes
Caustic burns to eye & face
2x concussions

Australia is pretty damn good, even if we do whine a bit.
I only limp a little & my hand still works ok.
All from head porting .........who wants to be a head porter.....LMAO :lol:
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

bob460 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:26 pm All from head porting .........who wants to be a head porter.....LMAO :lol:
There was a thread here full of head porter complaints, the deal breaker is carpel tunnel syndrome.