Pipemaxx calculated collector length & A.R. mufflers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Pipemaxx calculated collector length & A.R. mufflers

Post by Bill Chase »

When using pipemaxx calculated collector lengths does the use of an A.R. muffler effect optimal length?

For example if you have a 3" collector O.D. with a suggested extension length of...

h pipe 18.3 from end of primary tubes. X pipe 73.1�
total exhaust tuned lengths 18.3, 36.6, 73.1, 146.3�
primary to tailpipe lengths to avoid 27.4, 54.9, 109.7, 219.4

This will be a full 3" system with mufflers and x pipe/or 3" x style muffler/resonator. C4 corvette chassis. With the use of aluminum flywheel, and Tpis miniram lt1 style intake, the thought is to bolster low rpm tq as much as possible. It is a 6 speed, but the lower I can lug it while cruising will help with drivability.
Was thinking I could weld header flanges right to https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynatech-772-0 ... 890.l49292 and keep lengths at what pipemaxx calculated, and it should help? Am I wrong?

I don't have tons of money to do a substantial amount of testing to perfectly optimize the setup. Will the linked ar cans help, and not change pipemaxx calculated optimal length (s)?
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Re: Pipemaxx calculated collector length & A.R. mufflers

Post by maxracesoftware »

Bill Chase wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:22 am When using pipemaxx calculated collector lengths does the use of an A.R. muffler effect optimal length?

For example if you have a 3" collector O.D. with a suggested extension length of...

This will be a full 3" system with mufflers and x pipe/or 3" x style muffler/resonator. C4 corvette chassis. With the use of aluminum flywheel, and Tpis miniram lt1 style intake, the thought is to bolster low rpm tq as much as possible. It is a 6 speed, but the lower I can lug it while cruising will help with drivability.
Was thinking I could weld header flanges right to https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynatech-772-0 ... 890.l49292 and keep lengths at what pipemaxx calculated, and it should help? Am I wrong?

I don't have tons of money to do a substantial amount of testing to perfectly optimize the setup. Will the linked ar cans help, and not change pipemaxx calculated optimal length (s)?
When using pipemaxx calculated collector lengths does the use of an A.R. muffler effect optimal length?
are you going to use that Cone-mesh insert ?
i have not yet Dyno tested that type Collector, so don't know exactly what effect it would have ?
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

maxracesoftware wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:39 am
Bill Chase wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:22 am When using pipemaxx calculated collector lengths does the use of an A.R. muffler effect optimal length?

i have not yet Dyno tested that type Collector, so don't know exactly what effect it would have ?
Hello Larry! No it is an anti reversion can. Hendren racing design, produced by Dynatech.

Has a 3" inlet, 3" outlet. And tapers lightly in the middle to around 2.5-2.6" here is a link to a thread here with a cutaway of one. About half the way down the page is the cutaway pic. If it isn't worth anything down low I will not do it, just seems beneficial for part throttle, low rpm tq production? The thought was to attach it directly to the collector and then make collector extension length and x pipe placement as close to what pipemaxx calculated as I can.

viewtopic.php?t=56331
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

Bill Chase wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:53 am
maxracesoftware wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:39 am

Hello Larry! No it is an anti reversion can. Hendren racing design, produced by Dynatech.

Has a 3" inlet, 3" outlet. And tapers lightly in the middle to around 2.5-2.6" here is a link to a thread here with a cutaway of one. About half the way down the page is the cutaway pic. If it isn't worth anything down low I will not do it, just seems beneficial for part throttle, low rpm tq production? The thought was to attach it directly to the collector and then make collector extension length and x pipe placement as close to what pipemaxx calculated as I can.

viewtopic.php?t=56331
Bill ,
it would still be something you would have to test for yourself
i just don't have any Test Data on what you are thinking of trying :(
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com