Brawler 750

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

c1500sbc
Pro
Pro

Brawler 750

Post by c1500sbc »

I’m wanting to switch the current Edelbrock 750 I have for possibly a Holley Brawler carb. Any opinions on this? Motor is a built 383 10.6:1 compression.

I found a guy here in Texas selling this brawler for $300 bucks. Which seems cheap. It would have to be shipped as the drive would cost more in gas, so I can’t see it in person. The metal looks pitted? Is that just me or does it look like it’s been under water?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980RS
Guru
Guru
Re: Brawler 750

Post by 1980RS »

It just look a little pitted form being outside, offer him $200 and see what he says, if he want to get rid of it then he will deal. Worst he can say is no.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Keep the Edel carb...or buy the 800 AVS edel carb...
thedynoguy

Post by thedynoguy »

that's the way the Brawler and QFT shiny carbs get when exposed to the elements. It's more cosmetic than anything else. Like the other guy said, try to low ball him if you can live with what the carb looks like. remember though, it will never get any prettier, it will only continue to oxidize. FWIW, the black coated Brawler/QFT carbs stay pretty good looking for a lot longer than the silver ones.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

That's a sh/tbox vac secondary electric choke doorstop.
From your description of the motor - put a double pump carb on it.
thedynoguy

Post by thedynoguy »

KnightEngines wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:01 am That's a sh/tbox vac secondary electric choke doorstop.
that's always a debate. That said, I've run a bunch of these on the dyno, and they've always run well (100 times better than a Holley). I've never heard back from the customer's that they were unhappy with them after the fact.
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

KnightEngines wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:01 am That's a sh/tbox vac secondary electric choke doorstop.
Where's the vacuum pod?
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

I agree, I like the HR series a bit better, but we used one on a stroker FE and it ran very strong on the pump, little tuning needed
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
Plattsmouth, NE
70 Mustang, 489 FE, TKO-600, Massflo SEFI, 4.11s
71 F100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, 4 speed, port injected EFI, 3.50s
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

It is a double pumper carb.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

It looks like it was on a car that sat in a garage with a washer and dryer in it or was parked outside a fair while in some rainy weather.

Wear rubber gloves and use a small brush with Lime Away (sulfamic acid) or a similar 'sink stain remover' cleaner with citric acid or lactic acid followed with a fresh water rinse will remove the oxide and then a brisk rub with 0000 steel wool will make it look like new. If you use hot water the heat will make the acid more aggressive. Don't forget to use rubber gloves.

It needs a cleaning and a fresh carb kit anyway, so beat the guy down on the price by reminding him it needs the price of a carb kit off the top of the deal.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Geoff2 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:08 am Keep the Edel carb...or buy the 800 AVS edel carb...
The one time I used the 800 AVS Eddy it worked pretty good. Not a bad choice.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Apparently Joe Sherman BigJoe1 used to keep a 800 cfm Edelbrock carb on hand in his dyno room.. To verify the performance of others carbs during dyno test-tuning.
He said it worked very well, often meeting or exceeding others custom carbs.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

I'd suggest either pay what he is asking or don't buy it at all. His price is fair in my opinion. On the other hand i'm not a fan of electric chokes on performance carbs. Or any choke at all for that matter on street / strip type applications.
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

I’ve had probably a dozen Brawlers on the dyno so far, although I do like the AVS2’s, I have yet to be disappointed with the brawler line of carbs.
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

I have the same carb here to rework. It suffers he same as all the QF/Proform carbs. T-lot is too large, requires a t-slot restriction in the body at about.081. Secondary t-slot passage in the base has a bleed hole that needs to be plugged. I use a small piece of lead, drive it down with a punch with some green Loktite to seal it. it is needed on the old 2 corner idle to have fuel actively pulling from the secondary bowl, not on a 4 corner system. Centerer emulsion plugged, and idle feed restriction lowered. Other than that not too bad. I wish they would use the Holley baseplates rather than the QF ones... makes a noticeable difference in idea and part throttle.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.