GM 396 cylinder notches

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dondon
Re: GM 396 cylinder notches

Post by dondon »

they never made a 327 4 bolt. you could make one 1968 up 327 large journal.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

dondon wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:57 pm they never made a 327 4 bolt. you could make one 1968 up 327 large journal.
Supposedly, they came in Massey Ferguson combines. That's the explanation I've seen multiple times. It would explain why there's no documentation of one in GM cars & trucks. I realize that's a convenient explanation but who says it's not true? It very well could be.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Post by Ericnova »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:36 am
dondon wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:57 pm they never made a 327 4 bolt. you could make one 1968 up 327 large journal.
Supposedly, they came in Massey Ferguson combines. That's the explanation I've seen multiple times. It would explain why there's no documentation of one in GM cars & trucks. I realize that's a convenient explanation but who says it's not true? It very well could be.
I've seen one of those, roughly 20 years ago, in a buddy's possession just hours after pulling it out of the combine.
Appeared to be basically a 300 Hp 327....1.94" valve camel humps and flat top pistons with just a couple durability upgrades which were oil pump and factory double roller timing chain.
I didn't get to see the cam, just hydro flat tappet, but I wouldn't expect much beyond just stock -929 or similar.

but sorry, it was 2-bolt mains, small journal forged crank, 90+ lb flywheel(LOL)
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Just an FYI on the block,
Its a truck block. It had no int. valve reliefs in the bores but customer came up with a different block with the
valve notch's and its numbers matching for his Chevelle so it worked out in the end.
It also is a 2 bolt block but I am going to put steel caps on it anyway so no issue with strength when dropping the clutch.

Thanks to those that posted here gave me some stuff to look for in other areas. =D> =D>
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

I learned something i was not aware of ( the earlier 327 hi-Horsepower engines were 2-Bolt Main Caps) and that is good that i learned. I never have tried to hold a doctorate degree in knowledge on OEM data, but i definitely admire those who do ! . So with all the thrashing on the street and drag strips of the 2-Bolt 327's it causes me to think how many failures were linked directly to 2-Bolt main cap blocks ??? Anybody ? Mark H.
Old School
Pro
Pro

Post by Old School »

swampbuggy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:04 am I learned something i was not aware of ( the earlier 327 hi-Horsepower engines were 2-Bolt Main Caps) and that is good that i learned. I never have tried to hold a doctorate degree in knowledge on OEM data, but i definitely admire those who do ! . So with all the thrashing on the street and drag strips of the 2-Bolt 327's it causes me to think how many failures were linked directly to 2-Bolt main cap blocks ??? Anybody ? Mark H.
Not as many failures linked to the 2 bolts as to the lack of knowledge and tools. No one had tools or the knowledge to set bearing clearances. Ignorance about piston/valve clearance, guide to retainer, all the things we check as standard assembly today. Everyone was learning with very few resources. Today one can to to a big bracket race and see a couple thousand runs a weekend and not one engine lost. Back in the 60's that wasn't the case and it happened with all brands of engines. A top of the line 327 50 years ago was lucky to make 450 horsepower. Most were about 350 for the average racer.
MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Post by MotionMachine »

Who else has seen a 305 4 bolt block? Had I not seen it myself I would not have believed it. Best we could determine, it came out of a school bus in Canada.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

I’ve seen probably 50 305 blocks in my career and never once a 4 bolt. (I’m Canadian)

More likely a goof up at the GM factory. If I had worked there “back in the day” I’d try and sneak a 305 or 307 block into the 4 bolt line just for shits and giggles. :mrgreen:
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Weren't the 4 bolt 305 blocks only Canadian 3/4 ton pickups and only for two years?

No 4 bolt main small journal small blocks though.

In circle track racing I've personally had a few 4 bolt blocks rip apart the main webbing at about the 600hp level. Not pretty. I think the factory way of installing the outer two bolts contribute to the weakness. Especially over the splayed cap layout.