22RE or other SOHC

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dfarr67
Expert
Expert
22RE or other SOHC

Post by dfarr67 »

Engine has been sitting for a few years, finally got it going and am tuning the ecu- might be having a issue with the new timing chain tensioner (not uncommon for these engines, hydraulic and maybe a bit of trash got into it, engine was torn down to the short block)

I'm wondering.......at some point this engine was rebuilt- I was told 30k on it. The block deck was just OK, I used copper spray on the head gasket. It definitely wasn't good enough for a MLS gasket, so I don't know anything about the machine work. The head was new aftermarket, had a little port work and deshrouding on the intake valve done, it's been sooo long. If the block was cleaned up how does this affect cam timing? I think a new oem head gasket was used, I think you normally put a thicker head gasket on to make up for the decking. Or is an adjustable cam gear the way to go----if anything. I can't imagine much needing done with these tractor engines back in the day.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru
Re: 22RE or other SOHC

Post by rustbucket79 »

.005” or so usually cleans up the deck, more importantly the front cover needs to be bolted to the block during decking since it’s part of the head gasket surface. The cam timing change would be negligible, I’d be more worried about change as the belt stretches. The computer wouldn’t know about a degree either way on a factory EFI cam.

Have you verified that the sprockets are correctly timed?
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

An LCE double roller conversion kit was installed (not by me) so the timing cover is new, probably not altered. Normally I would loosen the oil pan and that would compensate. don't know about clocking the sprockets- I didn't do the work but if the tensioner is to be replaced that will be looked at. Essentially the last 22R I did was original and didn't worry about the deck dimensions. Idles and runs fine- just some rattling come from the cove area.
I forget which way the cam moves- but it is a CC and is ground advanced- High Energy 222/222 Solid Cam
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Those engines use chain guides, perhaps they were forgotten or damaged.

A rattling or sawing noise coming from the front end, that’s louder listening through the oil fill, is a reasonable indicator for a chain guide issue.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

That's the problem when you don't do things yourself, Im leaning towards tensioner- maybe over torqued. Doesn't really matter, need to open up front of engine for anything anyway. Concerned about top of timing cover whether it was properly machined.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Don’t buy the cheap plastic guides, the fail guaranteed.
benno318
Pro
Pro

Post by benno318 »

we drove the carby versions of these for years as work vehicles, flogged the absolute daylights out of them and they just kept coming back for more.
full of tools and batteries in the back, total weight was 2200kg.
fuel economy was odd, didnt seem to matter whether you babied it or drove flat out everywhere, always delivered about the same km/litre each night when it came to fuelling up - of interest i could flat change from first to 5th without lifting, luckily the drivelines were tough and i never broke a thing doing it. oh dear, how silly we can be when younger...

the timing chain rattle was an issue, lots of chain stretch - some tradesmen would keep them on the road until the chain wore through the timing cover into water, caramel milkshake engine oil being the result. some of the cheap timing kits are absolute junk and not worth fitting at all. sometimes for cheap repairs we would just wind on a new chain (cheap one with a joining link) which would help a bucks down customer for a few more years, only the rocker cover needing to be removed for this dodgy operation, about a half hour job.

also, unbelievable how many of these neglected to have valve clearances checked and adjusted - i think people just forgot they were mechanical cams - made a big difference to how many of them ran once set to specs...

good engines for their day IMO
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Post by nhrastocker »

The chain rattle of the 8R, 18R and 22 R engines is caused because the oil filter has the wrong relief valve setting.
Went through this issue in my early days of racing import cars and a Toyota Factory Engineer told me to use the OEM oil filter. He explained to me that with the incorrect valve relief on the oil filter, the tensioner would not remain extended due to oil pressure fluctuations at high RPM's.

At the time I used Fram Filters. I noticed that with the aftermarket oil filters, during an oil change, the oil filter would hardly have any oil when removed and during start up, there would be hysteresis on the oil pressure gauge for the pressure to climb up. Switched to the OEM oil filter and every time I would remove the filter, it was full of oil and during start up and the oil pressure gauge reacted immediately. A friend of mine had a Celica with the 18R engine and always used the OEM filter, still remember he had the original timing chain, tensioner and guides at 160000 miles.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

I've taken two 22R's apart and there were remains of guides in the oil pans.
Fram is the last choice for me- but I'll look into Toyota filters.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.