General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Second gen Nova sbc header recommendation

Post by Justa1time »

Good Evening,

I have been combing through a slough of header distributors for my Nova for a long while now. The answer doesn't seem to be a simple one and I am looking for guidance.

1970 Nova. Colum shift automatic. Power steering. Power brakes with 11" booster. Currently has a fresh 350 with 624 casting heads, summit 1103 cam and those horrendous H345dcp's with standard thickness sbc head gaskets. The engine was not decked by the previous owner so this car has in the 8's compression wise and is a total dog.

I have a 99' 350 VORTEC engine (906 heads) I am in the process of collecting parts for with a goal of 300 - 365 Whp for street and 1/8 mile summer night fun. The car sees about 60 miles a week street driven weather permits.

I have the magnaflow 2.5" Nova exhaust in a box I will use with whichever headers I order. I want the new exhaust on this current engine so I can hook up my wideband and tune the car and enjoy it until the new engine is ready to be swapped in.

- Who runs Try Ys and if and when should this be considered?
- Should I be considering 1 5/8" primary tube size or 1 3/4"?

I appreciate everyone's time,

Bryan from Oregon
lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: Second gen Nova sbc header recommendation

Post by lefty o »

1-5/8 is plenty for that combo.
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

I'm using the Doug's D367 tri-y headers in a '65. Decent fit - just required a bit of trimming of the subframe flange at the cowl (minor). #7 tube gets a little close to the header tube (AC plugs in 062 vortec heads) but it hasn't been an issue so far with good silicone boots and ceramic coated tubes (had them on since 2013). Nice construction with thick flanges.

EDIT: My combo is a 9.6:1 355, vortec heads, 217/225 hydraulic roller. Ran 12.9x @ 108 mph with these headers. Should work well on your proposed build too. Just noticed your "2nd gen" is a 70... sorry... missed that. When you said 2nd gen, I assumed 66-67.
Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Justa1time »

Novadude,

Is your car automatic colum shift?
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

Justa1time wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:25 pm Novadude,

Is your car automatic colum shift?
No. 4-speed. Not sure about column shift linkage for a 62-67 with header fitment, but I believe that there are a lot of options for a 70.

I had a '70 at one point, and the basic cheap "summit brand" / dynomax headers fit those cars really well. Mine was an auto on the floor though, so I can't say how it would work with the column shift. Mine was missing the backdrive linkage to the column (same as column shift linkage). Tried to install it at one point, but gave up when I realized I had the wrong pieces. I don't recall the headers being in the way at all, but I cannot say for sure.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

Bryon,I don't know where you are in Oregon, but i have a nice hydraulic roller cam for the Vortec motors I will sell you cheap if you live close by.
So much to do, so little time...
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I agree with lefty o 1 5/8" headers will be fine. I ran high 10's with them last year and did not pick up much if anything with the Hooker 1 3/4" Super comps. Save your money, on most engines big dollar headers are not needed. Go to Hooker they have a cheaper line Racingheart's I think and for the price you can get Stainless for like $300. The ones below are the mild steel for $185.

https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust ... ts/2550HKR
Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Justa1time »

Thank you guys for the recommendations.
I think I may go with the Schoenfeld Drag Street Class Headers 115V-3 buy a flange and collector combo and weld o2 bungs by the collectors and EGT probe bungs on the primarys. Has anyone ran this header before? It's a 1 5/8" primary to 1 3/4" then to 3". I called Schoenfeld and they said the headers will clear the colum automatic but summits application guide says they won't so I am not sure what to do. I may just order these and see if they work?

Also does anyone have any input on the Try Y design for my application? I have been trying to find information online for the past month and a half with no real concrete information on those designs.

Lastly, if I were to upgrade to AFR 195s later down the road would the 1 5/8" primary be (hopefully) larger than the exhaust ports? I have looked around for 195 exhaudt. port dimensions and find oddball information.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sch- ... model/nova
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Jim
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

Use the ball flange kit. It's not cheap, but it makes life easier.
So much to do, so little time...