3D printed inconel header

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass
Re: 3D printed inconel header

Post by hoffman900 »

pcnsd wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:20 pm I toured SpaceX in LA 5+ years back as a guest. This is the same process they used to build their directional thrust nozzles. I was impressed with the print technology at the time but questioned the time/cost factor. They said that the provided flexibility for their limited production needs was a good fit. I think these things will only improve as time progresses.
+1

For specialty volumes that are far below the profit volume for a casting, it’s great.

Casting is scary, the volume needed to make a profit is scary and you better hope you sell that many before it becomes redundant. 3d printing helps fix that, and allows you the geometries (and even more freedom in ways) that only a casting can give you.
-Bob
Momus
Pro
Pro

Post by Momus »

3D printing seems to me to be a woke technology

Casting is much more manly.

Rocket directional nozzles are/were usually made by fabricating Niobium (Columbium) sheet and machined sections.

No need to wait weeks.
Ken_Parkman
Expert
Expert

Post by Ken_Parkman »

Another cost to think of is the amount of powder. Even if most is reclaimed, you had to buy it in the first place. And the amount and cost for a big part is scary. But for development hardware it is absolutely fantastic - fast and relatively cheap considering. But the machine on time is just too much for significant production to be cost effective, at least with the current technology.
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

There are hybrid milling machines that add and remove material, it is possible to mix metals
Momus
Pro
Pro

Post by Momus »

HDBD wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:49 am There are hybrid milling machines that add and remove material, it is possible to mix metals
Link?

There is a machine that deposits and mills Inconel in a vacuum?