Cam C/L selection - Fiat twin cam

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Nut124
Pro
Pro

Re: Cam C/L selection - Fiat twin cam

Post by Nut124 »

Thanks for all your comments, suggestions. I think my plans are solidifying.

In the picture below I show 4 sets of cam plots for anyone interested or just suffering from sleeplessness, boredom:

1. Light brown or orange lines: The Alq 40/80 cams as found before recent rebuild. These were never degreed and were way off. Lobe centers were about 115/115. IVC way over 80 ABDC. EVO at or over 80 BBDC. This engine had little torque under 4000. Had a prominent intake snort from flow reversal. But it also had a 4-1 header with short primaries that could contributed to the reversal.

2. Blue lines: This is what is in the engine now. Same cams as above. The engine has a new 4-2-1 header with long primaries and longer secondaries. No intake snort. Good low, mid range torque. The cams seem to have long ramps and look like could use more valve clearance. Lobe centers about 108/108. IVC seem very late due to ramp.

3. Red lines: This is my current plan for the new, bigger cams. 106/106 centers. IVC and EVO event are well inside Case2 due to the more aggressive lash ramp(?).

4. Light green(?): This was a radical intake cam I tried. Had no lash ramps at all. Very noisy. Power felt very good both mid and top end. Very fat lobes. I took this out due to concern about seating velocity, engine durability.