383 dyno results

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
Re: 383 dyno results

Post by rebelrouser »

I think this thread brings up something to talk about. The old which is better, a chassis dyno or an engine dyno? While chassis dyno's measure power at the rear wheels, and what is actually going to the ground, seldom do I see much instrumentation on a vehicle when doing pulls on a chassis dyno, unless it is new enough you can hook a scan tool to it. When tuning I like to have a little info on what is happening to the engine to make the calls on what and how to tune. And from my limited experience with chassis dyno's you always have the issue of slippage on the rollers, and how the person applying the throttle, is doing it and being consistent.
When I was at the college we had a Mustang Chassis dyno, and Engine Dyno, they told me when I asked if they could build it, that it was the only one they ever did. The eddy current unit was shared between the engine and chassis dyno. The eddy current unit was on wheels and it bolted into the floor, for which ever mode you were going to use. So it made it easy to dyno the engine, then install in the vehicle, and run it on the chassis dyno. I would think this setup eliminated many variables. And of course students were involved, so that is why I bring up the issues with repeatability. On the engine dyno, you set the start of the pull and the computer did the acceleration how you asked it to do, and it is very easy to have twin O2's, exhaust gas temps, air and fuel flow, etc. Usually on the chassis dyno we just has O2's. Especially on vehicles with more power than a stock vehicle, slippage on the rollers was always an issue. Any pull you did there was always rubber dust on the dyno, so did it slip or just tear up the tires?
I personally think tuning an engine is always more accurate on the engine dyno. Tuning the drivetrain is best on the chassis dyno. Don't get me wrong if the engine is already in the car, a chassis dyno is still way better than driving out on a back road, trying to read spark plugs.
c1500sbc
Pro
Pro

Post by c1500sbc »

Schwien76j wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:27 pm Chad Speier (aka) 'Chad Bytes" is still doing heads?? Good lord. Cant believe he is still convincing you internet folks that he's some sort of cylinder head god! Its actually funny. I was just talking to another local (Hays, KS) builder the other day. Chad Byte's name came up because I was working on a set of heads (487X stock castings) Chad had "Built". Local builder said, "You mean he's still doing work on heads?" Gosh! I figured someone would have beat his brains in by now"........
Man, really? I seem to read nothing but great things about them? I guess you've had some personal bad experience? Unfortunate to hear.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

c1500sbc wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:11 pm
Schwien76j wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:27 pm Chad Speier (aka) 'Chad Bytes" is still doing heads?? Good lord. Cant believe he is still convincing you internet folks that he's some sort of cylinder head god! Its actually funny. I was just talking to another local (Hays, KS) builder the other day. Chad Byte's name came up because I was working on a set of heads (487X stock castings) Chad had "Built". Local builder said, "You mean he's still doing work on heads?" Gosh! I figured someone would have beat his brains in by now"........
Man, really? I seem to read nothing but great things about them? I guess you've had some personal bad experience? Unfortunate to hear.
Likely another troll with an axe to grind. Pretty sure Speier does some stellar heads.
hysteric
Pro
Pro

Post by hysteric »

Weak ignition?