Chevy dual point distributor I.D ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

V12MECH
Chevy dual point distributor I.D ?

Post by V12MECH »

Have a old aluminum dual point, tach drive, mechanical advance distributor, marked Newton, New Haven on the upper support plate. All ball bearings, body splits apart for access to large advance weights under points plate, no other tag or numbers with a plate with tangs on shaft to engage weight plate. Similar to old accel unit with a more rounded body. While post pics after I clean it up.
V12MECH
Re: Chevy dual point distributor I.D ?

Post by V12MECH »

Finally posted pictures
KIMG0429.JPG
KIMG0431.JPG
KIMG0433.JPG
KIMG0434.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

i've had one of these in my Shop very long time ago ,
( i took it apart as far down as your Pic of the weights showing , i was surprised to find those weights back then )
its either a Mallory or Accel distributor ... most probably Accel ??
i can't remember which though ?

the only "very rare" Distributors i have left in my Shop are some brand new SBC/BBC Corvette / CanAm Tach-drive distributors
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

It is an Accel. The delux model with the extra roller bearings that do nothing useful but do make it look better in the ad. That type Accel distributor requires the 40 oz spring tension points because it has a concave (inverse flank) opening ramp on the breaker cam which only accel~~erates the wear and eventual loosening of the shaft clearance in the mess of needle roller bearings, upon which the shaft will run orbital and the spark scatter is a wonder to behold on a distributor machine. Those beauties were the original multi-spark. It is crazy how loud they are with the heavy points, sound like a chainsaw.

Beware the little socket head screw that limits the advance travel, they were usually broken off in just a few hundred miles, whereupon allowing about 50 crank degrees of advance, particularly if a high volume oil pump was in play.

It could be a good piece for a period correct retro-rod if converted to electronic with a Pertronix or ? so the points are eliminated and all the undesirable monkey motion associated with the ridiculous spring pressure is not interfering with smooth operation of the advance mechanism. Literally decades ago I converted them with both Chrysler and Ford reluctors and magnetic pickups, but those schemes require some blacksmithing so the Pertronix looks the best route.
V12MECH

Post by V12MECH »

Good info, thank you for taking time to reply.